Talk

Advanced search

Music Scholarship

(49 Posts)
Timetowaste Mon 16-May-11 22:20:48

Can anyone give me ideas as to what grade prep schools are looking at to give a music scholarship for entering year 3?

I've found a number of schools who offer music scholarships at this age, but none specify on their websites what level they are looking for.

What does anyone think would be scholarship level (i.e. outstanding) for a year 2 in the Spring term as that is when the scholarships are?

cubscout Tue 17-May-11 07:43:33

I have no experience of 7+ music scholarships but I think it can be quite variable at 11 +. Some senior schools specify about Grade 4-5 on 2 instruments, but I have heard of Grade 6 and 7 level pupils not getting scholarships perhaps due to schools looking for particular instruments.

I would imagine that a Grade 2 or 3 level at 7 would be pretty outstanding.

LIZS Tue 17-May-11 07:56:34

I woudl have said around grade 2 with distinction in at least one instrument , possibly just starting a second.

sahm3 Tue 17-May-11 10:48:03

I dont know about prep but at our eldests school, music scholarships are offered for entry into Y7, they require a minimum of grade 5 for the main instrument, a 2nd or 3rd instrument would be desireable (3rd not necessary)

Timetowaste Tue 17-May-11 16:37:33

So going with grade 2 in first instrument and 6 months of second instrument - will not be seen as me being unrealistic?

Before I approach schools - I just want to gauge whether they'll laugh at me (hopefully not to my face) or take us seriously.

squidgy12 Tue 17-May-11 16:49:16

Message withdrawn

LIZS Tue 17-May-11 16:52:51

You need to check with each as each school varies. Some may just want an audition piece.

Timetowaste Tue 17-May-11 17:08:59

Oh I will check - like I say I just wanted to see that they weren't going to say 'oh we expect them to be a grade 5 standard'.

Thanks for the good luck.

roisin Tue 17-May-11 17:14:33

I think just as important as ABRSM grades though is genuine musical talent and ability. So if they've taken AB grades, I would expect them to be looking for distinctions, their oral skills should be top notch and their performance pieces should be special.

Timetowaste Tue 17-May-11 17:25:11

My ds has huge amounts of enthusiasm for music, will practice at every given opportunity, and plays constantly.

His teacher has said he shows great maturity and only needs to be shown something once for it to click.

He took Grade 1 in March and got distinction and is taking Grade 2 in December.

His current school do a class concert every half term, and he thoroughly loves the performing aspect.

Hopefully we can get a reduction in fees!!! grin

senua Tue 17-May-11 18:59:06

Our local prep school requests 'particular talent' but does not define. They also want sight reading and aural tests. There is some sort of 'interview' (not too scary) to talk about what the children have done to date.

Remember that they do not give scholarships out of the goodness of their hearts; they want something in return - usually to play in concerts to impress prospective parents or visiting dignatories. If your DC likes performing then remind him to mention it! Has he done any competitions which show (a) he can do public recitals in front of strangers and (b) he is best in county. Does he belong to any performing group? (although this might be a double-edged sword if group and school have to fight for his attention).

Talk about how long he has been playing his first instrument. You need to convince the school that not only is he ahead at the moment but that it is not a flash in the pan and he will continue to stay ahead and shine.

cubscout makes a good point about how he fits into the school's current requirements re orchestra / ensembles.

Timetowaste Tue 17-May-11 19:13:21

He only started in September so we've only been doing it for just under 8 months.

He hasn't done any competitions yet, but will do the local annual music festival, but that's held in March, so that'll be after scholarships.

Other than class concerts which are with parents and grandparents at he hasn't done any other performing.

He plays the piano so can't join orchestra/ensembles yet, but he's starting clarinet in September for his orchestral instrument.

From a school pov he's a do everything type lad, and will play all sports etc.

But am aware he's only in year 1 - so an awful lot could change.

gymbunnynot Tue 17-May-11 19:17:11

One of ours had a prep school music scholarship from 7. It wasn't worth that much really. It was based on an interview, DS only had Grade One piano and played the recorder but sings like a flipping angel!

Timetowaste Tue 17-May-11 19:42:43

Ah we can't sing!!!

ConstantlyCooking Wed 18-May-11 09:43:50

As a long term plan - try to find an unpopular orchestral instrument as he will be in demand for school orchestras later on, eg I now someone who decided her DD should play the viola rather than violin as there is often a shortage in senior schools.

frogs Wed 18-May-11 09:46:45

Ah, but you know what they say about viola players. Do you really want to set your child up for a lifetime of that? wink

roisin Wed 18-May-11 15:58:56

grin at frogs!

Timetowaste Wed 18-May-11 17:02:36

I did try to get him to choose double bass - a) i think it suits him, b) unpopular instrument, c) i love the sound.
School tried to get him to choose oboe .

He was having none of it - teacher said best to go with whatr he wants as then he'll practice.

cubscout Wed 18-May-11 18:27:11

Oooh double bass is lovely! Quite hard for little fingers, ds has started playing (Y4) and finds some of the stretches difficult. But very versatile, he could play in jazz, swing, country bands as well as orchestra.

Only problem is lugging it around ....

Timetowaste Wed 18-May-11 18:45:54

I know damn child never listens to what his mother says grin - he's the size of a 10 year old, so a 1/4 size one would have been fine.

One of the reasons he is good on the piano is because he has a long finger stretch.

wangle99 Wed 18-May-11 21:40:30

DD got a music scholarship in year 3, she had got grade 1 on piano and sung for them (although she had no formal singing lessons or grades).

They didn't specify a grade that was required it was more on a 'potential' basis. As it happened DD gave up piano not long after that to play the flute (she didn't have big enough hands in the beginning to reach the notes!).

Colleger Thu 19-May-11 21:08:21

At Y3 singing seems to be more important as it shows more natural talent and many seven year olds have grade 1 piano. I would have thought grade 3 would be expected for Y3.

Colleger Thu 19-May-11 21:09:32

I meant to add that most music scholars are about grade 5 by the end of Y5 so grade 3 would seem the norm at the start of Y3 because the jump from grade 4 to 5 is much larger than the other grades.

coffeeaddict Thu 19-May-11 21:14:14

I think you will be lucky if you get a significant amount of money off. These days it is about the honour. Two of my dcs have so-called 'major' music schols at a senior school and it is 10 percent. 'Minor' schol is just free instrumental lessons.

frantic51 Thu 19-May-11 21:23:57

They'll be looking for musical potential more than ABRSM grade attainment at this age. He sounds as though he has real potential. smile Many schools now will offer means tested bursaries to scholars so, depending on your income, you may get a decent reduction in fees. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: