Talk

Advanced search

Really cross with school - Young Writers

(108 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 03-Mar-11 10:09:18

Has anyone else had a child whose work has been published in a Young Writers book?

Young Writers are a publishing company who claim that 'your' child has had a piece of writing selected to be published in a book. A small paperback book which costs £15.99 plus £2 postage!!

It's all done through the school but parents had no knowledge of entries being put in until we received letters saying our child had been selected. Parents (myself included) are angry because a) the school gave out our names and addresses to the company without permission....and b)we are now pressurised into buying this massively over-priced book.

My younger dd also had a poem published in one of these books last year and again parents were cross that details were given out. The teacher admitted it was an oversight and apologised (sort of) but this same teacher has done it again this year!

WWYD?

Blatherskite Tue 16-May-17 12:40:06

From what I can gather, most of the class got one at DS's school

DarthMother Mon 15-May-17 22:42:25

My child brought home one of these letters on Friday, I know at least one other in his class (year one) got the same.

Blatherskite Wed 03-May-17 20:03:11

I was considering starting a new thread but seeing as this zombie thread has been recently resurrected I thought I'd post here after all. Most of my DS's Y6 group have brought one of these letters home today. Feeling very cross that the school are joining in with this scam.

GaladrielsRing Fri 21-Apr-17 23:57:40

My ds (12) has had 3 letters/certificates in the post in as many weeks for different short stories he's written from this company. All for different £15.99 books ( that I've said I'm not buying). He said everyone in his class has 'won' at least one. I spoke to his form tutor and suggested they bought a copy of each book for the school library so the 'winners' can see their published work.

Pebbles1989 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:37:30

Wow, I can't believe this is still going on. I "won" a couple of times when I was about 14 or 15, so that would have been more than 12 years ago! If I recall correctly, there was some quality control going on as the worst poems didn't make the cut.

The second time we had a bit of fun with it and tried to see how outrageous we could be. I submitted a poem about fellatio dressed up as eating an ice cream or some such nonsense.

It duly "won" and was published grin

irvineoneohone Mon 20-Mar-17 12:30:34

Great thread to remind parents!
I wouldn't have known about this without it.
Hope people keep bumping.

Samsam007 Mon 20-Mar-17 11:42:14

I raised this with our school a few years ago and was stunned when the same letter appeared before Christmas.
Its a scam, if the kids want their poems in a book then do a competition in school, have a winner and then create their own book to sell to the parents for a reasonable price.
Perhaps if everybody on here contacts Watchdog then we can get the word out so no-one else is conned smile

Eclaireco Sun 19-Feb-17 08:08:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ArchNotImpudent Fri 17-Feb-17 19:04:22

I'm confused. The children own the copyright of the piece of work they've written so how does it get published without the parents agreeing on the child's behalf?

I agree with this. I'd be tempted to go back and say you're acting as literary agent for your child, and your child's fee for all rights to the work in question is £10,000.

indieskreet Fri 17-Feb-17 18:59:01

my post which was a warning to people to stay away from Forward Poetry has been deleted as I apparently broke the rules. My account of their site was a fair one, which Forward Poetry Site (Forward Press) has complained about and had removed I believe. Anyone who wants to see it, can read on my FB at Indie Skreet. Whether you choose to or not, the site is not run effectively to keep bullies at bay. It is a vanity site which if one tries to give 'constructive' critique, i.e, spelling errors, grammatical, one is attacked. So don't expect to get constructive critique either.

DriftingDreamer Fri 17-Feb-17 18:36:03

I know this is a zombie thread.
Few years ago fell for this and bought a book. Rubbish proof reading so mistakes throughout book.
Absolute rip off.
School not done it again....

indieskreet Thu 16-Feb-17 20:02:15

indieskreet Thu 16-Feb-17 19:27:00

foursillybeans Sun 04-Sep-16 17:22:07

Yep. I hate Young Writers. It's is such an emotionally blackmailing rip off. My DCs poems were not even any good. I certainly didn't want a permanent record of them.grin
Our school does this as well as the children's art work that is cheaply framed and then displayed in the hall and then they charge £7.99 for it .... or they bin in and you don't get it at all.
They also do those terrible children's art work Christmas cards. The charities must be really annoyed at the money they must out on from their own cards sales.

mathsmum314 Sun 04-Sep-16 16:59:02

The school should know better than to give out children's names and addresses, its breaking data protection laws. But essentially they are being scammed as well.

FYI, I didn't buy the back in March book and a few weeks ago they sent me another letter, with a 50% discount and NO P&P charge.

QuadrupleL Sat 03-Sep-16 21:25:41

We had a letter as well - little bit gutted to find out this is a scam! I have just ordered the book as well - I am going to e-mail for a refund. My DS was so excited when the letter came - no idea it was a scam.

VanillaSugar Fri 19-Aug-16 15:54:08

Resurrecting this thread as I have just got a letter at home saying my son has "won"!!!!

Yay.

Except it's going to cost £32 to see his entry squashed in with hundreds of others.

So, I'm resurrecting this to earn other people that Young Writers are back in business - August 2016.

neets28 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:37:53

Shocking methods to take money from parents but more shocking that they can play on the emotions of young children. My 12 old year old told me today that his letter was from a scam company and to take it off the fridge because it made him sad. Watchdog these scammers...that is where I am going next. Oh and cancelling my cheque.

andien Sun 01-Mar-15 20:11:20

Hi resurrecting this thread as we just got this from school as homework no less! I'm going to complain about it, but what I think is most disturbing of all which no one has mentioned (aside from calling all entries winners and charging £15 for winners!) is that they appear also to collect children's names, addresses and ages and the school they attend. There is NO MENTION on their site about how they protect this data, or if they sell it on to marketers. I would complain heartily to schools who have obviously not bothered (like ours) to really investigate what they are getting their students into.

ToffeeCaramel Fri 27-Feb-15 13:10:54

My ten year old did this when she was about 6 and it's actually quite sweet to look back at the little riddles that she and her classmates wrote at that age. My children have enjoyed looking back at them too. I'm not as interested in the riddles of children I don't know, so for me it's a positive things that lots from her class are in it. She'll leave the school in July and I think its a nice memento. I'm sure there are things I've spent the same amount of money on that have been a far bigger waste. I realise most people on mumsnet feel very differently about it though.

fleecyjumper Thu 26-Feb-15 20:48:17

I can't believe schools are still falling for this nonsense!

Bonnie74 Wed 25-Feb-15 14:12:08

My daughters school handed out certificates only yesterday from the young readers club, my sister in law told me about these "scams" so I went and spoke to the head teacher today and raised my concerns. She has took it very seriously and will be looking into it. I am just glad I got told before sending any money off.... All schools should be shown these complaints, it is, after all, protecting our children from disappointment.

Dancergirl Fri 13-Feb-15 14:09:51

I've been a victim of this again with dd3! Same thing, she brought home the bumph, 'your child has been selected etc etc....' AND a letter from the headmaster congratulating her!

How can I not buy it??

I'm so annoyed, what success have people had when broaching it with their child's school?

WeAllHaveWings Tue 10-Feb-15 22:38:29

Ds has had 3! Pieces of work "published", a poem and a couple of short stories. we haven't bought any books and no pressure to do so (other than a letter which went straight to recycle).

It's. harmless bit of fun and encourages ds to write. In his class of 30 around 15 had their poems published, so quite a lot get done.

revealall Tue 10-Feb-15 22:21:02

I too was a it disappointed at first; the competition bit is a complete con.

However the book looks good with a nice font, each poem on a seperate page and there are lots of enteries from other schools.
Looking back it's lovely to have his poem actually in print in a real book. It's great that the rest of the class are in it too as a memory of them all.
At £16 it compares to the price of school photos and is quite nice as a reminder of their early work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now