Talk

Advanced search

Radley School - info needed.

(6 Posts)
ThoseArtisticTypes Tue 28-Dec-10 20:51:26

Can anyone tell me what is so good about this school. All of my friends who have registered their sons at either Eton, Harrow or Winchester have all put Radley down as their second choice. I know they hav done this as there is no pre-test and is less selective but there are other less selective boarding schools to choose from.

I am thinking about doing the same but want to know why it is so sought after amongst parents who would be trying for the three schools already mentioned.

Thanks.

Mum72 Wed 29-Dec-10 15:15:51

How old is your son?

4 years ago when my DD was in reception, I recall several parents of boys telling me they had left it too late to register their sons for Radley.shock I was quite shocked. Although at the age of 4 or 5 years of age they could not actually register their sons, they could apparently put their sons names down on the waiting list for the waiting list hmm

Being a mum of 2 girls I do not know what makes Radley so good or popular - only that in 4 different schools my DDs have attended ALOT of parents of boys - seem to want to get their sons into Radley.

Good luck.

Michaelahpurple Fri 31-Dec-10 21:05:29

Mum72 is right. "Everyone" (kidding) puts their sons down for Radley as it is the only one left who requires you to register v young. At no other school is this now needed - the rest can be done from about age 9/10, having had guidance from their school etc.

Nice school, necessarily a bit more socially or nationally exclusive than some, as the foreigners don't tend to know they have to put their names down, so v Boden-land. Lovely grounds, wide ability range.

However, as you say, there are other good fall-back options if you aren't aiming for top flight academics/ or want a safety net. Stowe famously, Bradfield. Sure there are others I don't know about (eldest is only 8, so currently floundering throught 8+).

itsawonderfuldarleneconnorlife Sat 01-Jan-11 00:55:38

So if my DS is already 8 it's worthless enquiring?

I was concentrating on the prep schoool hurdle first...

PinkElephantsOnParade Sat 01-Jan-11 13:07:00

IAWDCL, why were you posting on MN last night instead of enjoying the party? grin

BlessingsGalore Sat 01-Jan-11 22:55:06

I would be interested in finding out more about this schools too. DS is on the waiting list with a strong chance he'll get a place. I put his name down because it seemed to rank so highly by other parents as the non-selective choice after Eton or Winchester. I'm a first time buyer so please enlighten me as there is a strong chance DS will end up there and although it seems a good school I don't know what distnguishes it as a "cut above"! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now