Talk

Advanced search

Applying to Kensington primary after deadline?

(8 Posts)
Kyte Sun 19-Dec-10 11:32:27

I may apply for a job in Kensington with accomodation provided. But the application date isn't until the end of February and ds1 is due to begin in reception this coming September.

The deadline for applications is mid January, but we can't apply until we're resident, which could be the summer (and if it's the holidays they won't process applications until September).

How big an issue is this and how likely is it that we'll be able to find a school place for ds1 (and childcare for ds2 3 days a week?) at such short notice?

JingleHell Sun 19-Dec-10 16:36:13

I think it depends on the school - you could be lucky although the good ones will have wait lists. Helps if you meet some criteria (ie RC or CofE). best to get the schools info from the council, it will give you all the schools' details and you can check individually. I used to live in westminster and there is always a lot of movement of families in central london so you might find places suddenly become available

roadrunning Sun 19-Dec-10 16:42:15

If you are considering St. James Independent Schools you may be interested to know this.

Channel 4 News ran a special news report on St. James Independent Schools and the School of Economic Science.

You can see it at the link below

reference.ses-forums.org/?p=18

Kyte Sun 19-Dec-10 17:32:53

We won't be able to afford a private school, so we'll have to rely on local places at the state schools

prh47bridge Sun 19-Dec-10 19:07:51

The council will treat you as a late application. You apply to them, NOT to the schools. There is no reason for them to wait until September before processing your application. The schools may be on holiday but the council isn't.

They will find you a place but it is unlikely to be at the school of your choice. It will probably be at one of the less popular schools in the area.

Saracen Mon 20-Dec-10 06:59:23

If you don't get a place for your older child in a school you like straightaway, be aware that he is eligible for a part-time or full-time funded nursery place (your choice) from Sept 2011 as an alternative to Reception.

If you prefer to wait for a place at a school you want, that could help with costs. His eligibility for that continues until he reaches compulsory education age in the term after his fifth birthday.

I've no idea how difficult it is to get a nursery place in the area, but that might be an option.

JingleHell Mon 20-Dec-10 09:59:35

With voluntary aided schools you might need to apply to the school directly actually if you are arriving outside of the admissions period. the religious schools usually have their own application forms aswell as the council one. at least it was like that when I applied for my dcs

prh47bridge Mon 20-Dec-10 11:06:47

No, you apply to the council regardless of whether or not the school is voluntary aided. The last government changed the system this year so that you always apply to the council even if you arrive outside the normal admissions round.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: