Talk

Advanced search

Would you move your dcs to private if they were v happy in their current state school?

(90 Posts)
brooke73 Mon 29-Nov-10 23:22:44

I have 2 dds one in year 3 and one in year 1. They currently go to the local infant, and junior school (two separate schools, with different HTs etc,), whilst we are v happy with the infant school, we are less happy with the junior school. I don't like some of the teachers, two classes in the years above are taught by two teachers job-sharing, assemblies seem disorganised, and they do not push the children at all.
So, we are thinking about moving them to private schools, the problems being that it will be a stretch for us financially, but more importantly, both dds are extremely happy in their current school, and have some very good friends. I have thought about moving them to private at secondary level, but I am worried that they would find it hard to make the adjustment from state to private in year 7.
Any advice?

seeker Mon 29-Nov-10 23:27:18

Remember that private does not automatically mean better, and there is no price you can put on your child being happy at school.

Leave them where they are, and use the money you save to enrich their lives in all the ways you couldn't afford if you had to pay school fees.

Litchick Tue 30-Nov-10 08:33:18

A number of children moved from state to DC's prep school at seven (and indeed almost every other age). All but one have settled in very well.

If you are going to do it anyway, why wait?

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 08:42:47

Message withdrawn

Bonsoir Tue 30-Nov-10 08:47:55

Job sharing primary teachers is a positive thing in my experience, so I wouldn't pay any attention to that.

However, if you dislike teachers, think the school is disorganised and that the children aren't pushed, those are good reasons for looking elsewhere. If your children are happy at their current school they'll probably be even happier at a private school.

piscesmoon Tue 30-Nov-10 09:19:20

I would leave them. I see a job share as very positive.
You don't have to move them both at the same time (unless you can't manage school runs).Do DC1 next September and DC2 at the start of yr 3-would be my suggestion. If it needs to be together I would aim for next September.
Lots of DCs change from state to private for secondary so that wouldn't be a problem.

crazymum53 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:15:17

If they are happy and making good progress I would leave them where they are. Job shares are a very good way for schools to retain experienced teachers and keeping this in one year group means that children only have this for one year. If you have any questions about how this works then you could ask parents who currently have children in this year group.

Having organised assemblies is not a high priority the main ones are teaching and learning and children's behaviour. I assume that behaviour is good as you haven't mentioned it.

Your year 3 child should be given targets for progress based on her ability by now and I would only be concerned if this wasn't happening.

hope this helps

PollyPhonny Tue 30-Nov-10 12:19:18

If you can switch now, I would do it. Your children are obviously happy where they are - but there's no reason at all why they wouldn't also be happy (or, perhaps, even happier) at a better school. Do you know any parents with children at your proposed private school? Do you know any children there? Do they seem happy? Do you get a sense generally (from looking around) that the school is a happy place? If so, I would have no qualms at all about moving them.

sue52 Tue 30-Nov-10 12:36:50

Lots of children make the move to private school at secondary age, a good school will make sure they settle in quickly. If you have financial concerns don't take on school fees before it's necessary. Maybe hiring a tutor would be a better solution.

seeker Tue 30-Nov-10 12:39:32

Why might they be even happier in another school? Their happiness depends on how they feel in the school, the relationship with their teachers and theri friends. There is NO guarantee that they will get this combination in any other school. And couple this with the fact that it is unlikely that they want to move - so they are going to find it difficut to approach the new school positively, and without resenting the parents who have moved them for reasons which they will probably not understand.....

anotherbook Tue 30-Nov-10 12:40:54

I wouldn't move them unless you feel strongly they are receiving poor education in the state school mainly because you say it would stretch you financially.It is a big longterm commitment for the next 15 years if you intend them to go all the way through and with the increased tuition fees at university.

Why do you feel at their present school they don't push children at all? I think in all schools you won't like some of the teachers but that doesn't mean your dds won't be well taught by them.

I would start saving for a potential senior school move or if not for this then keep the money for university.There will be several children who move from state junior to private senior year 7 entry so I wouldn't say this would be an issue.

As seeker says use some money also to enrich their lives also in other ways.There is lots you can do at home and by visiting places with them.

Hassledge Tue 30-Nov-10 12:42:18

I'd wait until secondary. If the DDs are happy at the moment then that's very important; developing social skills is as critical as developing numeracy skills at that age, as far as I'm concerned.

If you could afford it easily it might be different, but if it's going to stretch you financially, which presumably will impact on family life (holidays, outings etc) then I don't think it's worth moving two happy children for. The financial constraints will affect your own well-being too, which will impact on the children.

Re the Junior School - is your DD1 progessing well? What are the SATs results like? Is she moving up the SATs levels as she should be? A bit of disorganisation at assemblies doesn't sound like a deal breaker, tbh., and my experience of jobshares has only been positive.

RedSuedeShoes Tue 30-Nov-10 13:20:08

Just because a child is happy does not mean that they are in the best environment for them. My kids would be happy eating chips all day but I'm not going to let that happen. Try and look at the longer term. Your kids could have a nightmare year next year or a couple of their best friends could leave. Pick the school that, in the longterm, is best for your child.

seeker Tue 30-Nov-10 13:49:56

Depends on your priorities, redsuedeshoes. I try not to be a "you will hate this but it's for your own good" type of parent. Being happy at school is a precious thing - so few of us were, and so few of our children are.

RedSuedeShoes Tue 30-Nov-10 13:57:30

Well I worry for your children's health then if you don't make them eat food that's good for them!

Who said going to private school would be something they would hate? hmm What tends to happen is that their eyes are opened to amazing opportunities and they wished they'd gone sooner!

Maisiethemorningsidecat Tue 30-Nov-10 14:09:22

So state schools are as bad for your health as eating chips all day long?

What 'tends to happen' varies from school to school.

sue52 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:11:46

Paying for something does not necessarily mean better especially if you are aware that your parents are struggling to keep you in school fees.

Hullygully Tue 30-Nov-10 14:14:35

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Especially not when it costs gazillions.

RedSuedeShoes Tue 30-Nov-10 14:19:59

Apart from grammar schools, paying for education always means it's better.

smallwhitecat Tue 30-Nov-10 14:24:25

Message withdrawn

Maisiethemorningsidecat Tue 30-Nov-10 14:24:55

Get that big wooden spoon out and stir away - it's always good for a larf

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Tue 30-Nov-10 14:27:37

I had this dilemma with DD2.

I didn't like the school she started when we moved and she was in Yr 1, but she seemed fairly ambivalent. Now she's in Yr 2, her teacher this year is fab and she is happy. Now I realise it was less that I didn't like the school, but more about her yr 1 teacher and my perceived notions about the performance of the school (which was OFSTEDed as 'outstanding' but I had my doubts).
True, the private school I was considering offered a great deal more in the way of opportunities and a more rounded school life (lots of sports, clubs and activities), but as long as she is happy and is still getting a good education, she will stay where she is and I have enrolled her in sporting clubs to make up what I consider to be the main shortfall of her school.

PinkElephantsOnParade Tue 30-Nov-10 14:27:53

If it would be a stretch at the moment and your DCs are basically happy I would leave them where they are for now and think again for secondary.

If you save now it will reduce the stress for later whan you may be faced with the prospect of a sink secondary school or go private.

Alos need to think about saving up for uni fees.

Ormirian Tue 30-Nov-10 14:29:36

"Apart from grammar schools, paying for education always means it's better."

Really?

How interesting.

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 30-Nov-10 14:30:00

My children are in private schools and there are several classes that have job share teachers. Some parents don't like it but quite frankly its tough as it is everyones right to request job share and there is no reason why it should be refused.

The assemblies being disorganised is a bit of an odd comment. Assemblies are simply that, an assembly of all the childrne so that they can impart news, maybe sing a hymn and fulfill statutory requirements.

Them not being pushed is another matter. I like private education becasue they are not restricted to the National Curriculum, there are no SATS, it is a wider curriculum, smaller class sizes and the school educates the whole child rather than being a SATS factory. However other local private schools are exam factories..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now