Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any personal experience of Cheam School, Berks?

(17 Posts)
loopytunes Mon 22-Nov-10 16:28:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crumpet Mon 22-Nov-10 16:34:04

Do you have a girl or a boy or both? For girls there is also St Gabriels, boys there is Elstree and mixed there is Thorngrove. I have the impression that Cheam is pretty heavily geared to those who will board while there, or at least board after 13. With the boardign environment comes Saturday school etc and longer hours at school, so your child may be at home less than at a pure day school.

loopytunes Mon 22-Nov-10 16:40:01

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 22-Nov-10 18:30:27

A friend's two daughters were very happy there (day girls, left about 5 years ago to go to St Helen's and St Catherine's)

Lizcat Tue 23-Nov-10 11:38:34

I looked at several for my DD before making my choice. Personally I found the atmosphere at cheam a little more negative than the others and in the end choose St Gabriel's and have been delighted with the nutruing environment.
In general Cheams attitude seemed to be that children who achieve will be happy, where as St Gabriel's believe that happy children will achieve.
Elstree and St Gabriels have a very similar atmosphere and several girls at St Gabriels have brothers at Elstree.
If you would like any more info please send me a personal message and I would happily answer any questions you have. My DD is in year 2 so we have current experience of pre-prep and junior school.

loopytunes Tue 23-Nov-10 11:39:41

crumpet Tue 23-Nov-10 11:42:43

Hey Lizcat I wonder if we know each other? My DD was with Mrs BG last year (but we have now moved).

Lizcat Tue 23-Nov-10 11:51:01

We are Mrs BG this year, may not of seen you the play ground as DD was a bus girl last year. We are loving year 2, but every year you get a fab teacher and then the next years is even better.

RedSuedeShoes Tue 23-Nov-10 14:02:21

Cheam is a very good school and everyone we know there think it's great. I wouldn't consider St Gabriels if you are looking to change schools at senior school and it is the better academic choice. It's also not right next to a busy road! wink

crumpet Tue 23-Nov-10 16:11:01

agreed the majority of St G parents are planning to go all the way through, so it is not a school which preps/drills for common entrance

loopytunes Tue 23-Nov-10 18:37:09

crumpet Tue 23-Nov-10 18:41:43

Depending on where you are planning to move to there is also Marlston House, north of Newbury. I have not heard wonderful things about it though, but may be worth investigating.

RedSuedeShoes Tue 23-Nov-10 22:31:22

Would definitely choose Cheam over Marlston! Seriously, it's as good as you're going to get for a girl in that area.

galbers Sun 28-Nov-10 15:54:12

Our older boy went from state primary to Cheam left in 2008. Our younger is in year 5 at Cheam now. Excellent school , well run very inspiring head. Very very sound. V oversubscribed, not wholly academically selective. Selection based on when you put the child down, whether they will fit, sibling priority etc. Boarding v flexible and most don't board v much now. V good all round school.

TeddyBare Mon 29-Nov-10 08:05:01

Crumpet and RedSuedeShoes, what were your experiences of Marlston House? We still have a couple of years to make a decision but I've started looking into schools already because I'm a bit lost in it all. We went to visit Marlston House and St Andrew's ( St Andrews if you're interested OP although it might be too far away) but didn't see Cheam. I thought Marston was the nicest school we visited, and we visited quite a few as we weren't sure where we would be moving to at the time. Please help!

RedSuedeShoes Tue 30-Nov-10 13:22:27

Marlston is fine but not in the same league as Cheam. BrockMarl is more facilities over substance.

Par1sja Wed 15-May-13 09:10:14

does anyone have recent experience of St Gabriel's (senior school)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now