Talk

Advanced search

end of first term report writing

(7 Posts)
teafortwo Tue 16-Nov-10 18:27:09

I have been given the job of writing a list of examples of things teachers can write for the end of term report cards.

It is basically a tick box and space for a couple of meaningful sentences.

I want to do this well because it is my first responsibility beyond my class at this school, new job, need to make a good impression... wink

Sooooo... What comments have you written or read where you think... yeah... that really explains her/him so well!

smile TIA

pointydog Tue 16-Nov-10 18:40:36

I'm a bit of an uptight prude at times when it comes to t'internet and I'm surprised you;re asking this on a message board. I really am.

If someone has read a comment that sums up their child so well, I'd wager that the comment didn't come from a bank.

teafortwo Tue 16-Nov-10 18:59:26

"If someone has read a comment that sums up their child so well, I'd wager that the comment didn't come from a bank."

I agree!!!!

I am a teacher who really enjoys writing reports (we do exist!!!). My "best comments" have been very personal and from my heart... that is why I am finding it a bit tricky to think of general ones iyswim... but I was given it as a job to do and need to get it right and to save my head from hurting anymore I was just turning to mn in a moment of "hmmmmmmmm".

If it is inappropriate - sorry! I will ask elsewhere...

waterlooroadisadocumentary Wed 17-Nov-10 19:05:08

Another teacher here who likes writing reports and hates statement banks. They can be useful for inspiration for new teachers though.

IndigoBell Wed 17-Nov-10 21:10:11

As a parent I certainly never find reports from a statement bank helpful.

As a parent I wish you would avoid euphamesims and be direct and to the point.

If you find some clever way to say 'your son is a pain in the butt who does no work' I will almost certainly not understand what you meant. Just say what you mean

waterlooroadisadocumentary Wed 17-Nov-10 22:16:23

I agree but I do think a collection of statements to take as inspiration rather than a prescriptive statement bank can be useful. Maybe this is what the OP is doing.

teafortwo Fri 19-Nov-10 21:06:33

Thanks for your input and interest waterloo and Indigo!

It is an ideas bank I had to write and have handed in. I put things like...

X writes in a sensitive and meaningful way. He/she uses words like an artist uses paint.

X is a hard working, valued, respectful and indeed respected member of the class.

and

I have huge respect for X's outstanding effort and determination.

All the teachers at my school are given a list of comments to inspire them. I had been asked to participate in re-writing it because at the moment it isn't very inspiring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now