Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet mentioned in TES forum

(86 Posts)
LindyHemming Sat 13-Nov-10 18:19:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DinahRod Sat 13-Nov-10 18:57:57

Had to grin at these, someone's feeling hacked off, although overwhelmingly the parents I encounter want the same thing I do which is the best for their children and they are v supportive:

Taking your child for Reiki / giving them a crystal / getting them on a special diet / giving them fish oils etc. does NOT mean you 'have tried everything' and subsequently have 'no idea' why he's such a little oik.

If you make a parents evening appointment and don't show up it really pees me off.

If you don't even bother to make an appointment; that's worse and I generally judge you as a bad parent for it.

Saying 'I was never any good at maths either' gives your child an 'excuse' not to bother - please don't say it in front of them.

JoBettany Sat 13-Nov-10 19:48:59

Very, very funny IMO.

sandgrounder Sun 14-Nov-10 12:20:26

Bump

Great link, teachers saying it as it is.

MollieO Sun 14-Nov-10 12:26:22

Haven't read all of it but the bit about saying they have explained the homework and maybe your child should have listened. I would add maybe you as their teacher should check they have listened and understood. Also make sure you actually remember to send the work home that is written in the homework diary - have had that a few times.

Some teachers are fab but there are a few who are mediocre at best and make little or no effort.

IndigoBell Sun 14-Nov-10 12:34:24

I know what I'd like to say back to the teachers grin grin grin

- If you use euphamisms at parents teacher evening I won't have a clue what you're actually trying to tell me.

- Stop telling me my child is making good progres when she's not. She's on the SEN register and can't read or write. She's 2 years behind where she should be. Why, why, why won't you be truthful?

- If you send homework that is too hard than my DD can't do it.

- My DS is not naughty. He has ASD. If you bothered to read up at all about it (given that he is in your class) you would understand him a bit better.

- If the children aren't properly supervised at play time than bullying and rough play will happen.

- Just because I work full time does not mean that I don't care about my children. It does mean that I can only see you at parents evening and I won't have a clue about how my child is doing compared to the rest of the class.

- Just because I work full time does not mean that I don't care about my children. But it does mean that reading with 3 children every day cannot possibly happen.

- Just because I work full time does not mean that I don't care about my children. But it does mean that amount of homework you give my 3 children places our household under a huge amount of stress.

Toughasoldboots Sun 14-Nov-10 13:18:32

When my child forgets her recorder (because I am ill and barely coping with getting them into school at the moment) don't shout at her and make her use a ruler to pretend to play it,she felt humiliated and ashamed. (yes, this did happen- school confirmed it and see no problem with this).

Also, stop choosing the same boy to do everything that involves presenting the school (lead in play every year, speeches). We don't care if it isn't polished, we like mistakes, and it doesn't have to be perfect.

lastly, please occasionally admit that you make mistakes, it is not 'them and us'.

Thank you for confirming that you knocked marks off my son's maths paper because he didn't use the method that you believe is right. Because there is only one way of doing things after all and your way is better and ds would have got 100% had you not done this. Thanks for making him work with the child who needs help and for using him as a teaching assistant.

I should not have read that link, it has made me so angry.

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 13:24:12

Yes, would have put money on this turning into a teacher bashing thread. sad

Toughasoldboots Sun 14-Nov-10 13:26:50

Given that it links to a parent bashing thread?

c0rns1lk Sun 14-Nov-10 13:27:31

I can't find the bit where it mentions MN.

IndigoBell Sun 14-Nov-10 13:30:11

Feenie - there are good and bad people in all professions. Of course some of us have run into terrible teachers.

It doesn't mean we don't really really appreciate all the good teachers we have.

IndigoBell Sun 14-Nov-10 13:33:31

So, to please Feenie grin Here's some more things I'd like to say to teachers:

- Thank you for supervising DS1 properly in the playground.

- Thank you for teaching DS3 to read and write.

- Thank you for seeing that DS1 is really clever.

- Thank you for perservering with trying to teach DD.

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 13:47:01

Thanks Indigobell grin

EdgarAirbombPoe Sun 14-Nov-10 14:37:02

if anything, i think that thread highlights the importance of a parents input - and that school & parent need to work together to ensure the best result.

minimathsmouse Sun 14-Nov-10 15:44:19

For all of you who are disturbed by the comments on the link, why not follow the link again, go to the primary section and then look for the thread titled
"What do you wish you could tell the pupils in your class."

If you think that teachers have a poor opinion of parents, it would seem they are even less impressed with your children!

Tanga Sun 14-Nov-10 16:23:07

"Stop telling me my child is making good progress when she's not. She's on the SEN register and can't read or write. She's 2 years behind where she should be. Why, why, why won't you be truthful?"

Has it occurred to you that your child is making good progress for a child with SEN and insisting on comparing her to a child without SEN and expecting that level of attainment is setting her up to fail? Just a thought.

Agree with comments about working full time, Indigo, I'm the same - it gets easier when they are in secondary.

But getting children to work with other children who are struggling with that piece of work, or who don't have support at home, or who are genuinely less able is NOT using a child as a teaching assistant. Explaining something to someone else is a fantastic way of exploring your own learning, and the child who is struggling often asks questions that reveal gaps in the understanding of the other child. But if you don't want us to teach your child that helping others is a good thing and brings rewards, you have only to say - they can spend their time arguing with the exam board that they should have got 100% because their Mum said so.

JoBettany Sun 14-Nov-10 16:27:28

I am not disturbed by the comments so please don't worry about me grin.

Just as MN does not speak for all mums and there is a huge range of opinions, so TES does not speak for all teachers!

ArthurPewty Sun 14-Nov-10 16:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toughasoldboots Sun 14-Nov-10 17:47:46

Yes Tanga, because otherwise my child would not help others and realise it brings rewards- what a ridiculous argument. My child is not being stretched in any way at all in maths( the only subject he is good at btw) yet had to help another child week in week out. That is using him as a teaching assistant.

It is precisely because he is a nice child and patient that he gets used in this way.

100% is a 100%- bit odd to tell a child that he shouldn't be using the compact method, must be grid, because the other children can't do it yet. Then knock 12% off for that reason alone

Funny this thing with 'teacher bashing'- if anyone dares criticise a teacher then they are 'teacher bashing'. Parents couldn't possibly ever have a valid point.

I am a nurse, occasionally there are threads that criticise a nurse, I don't always rush to their defence, because guess what? Nurses aren't always right/perfect.

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 18:10:56

"I am a nurse, occasionally there are threads that criticise a nurse, I don't always rush to their defence, because guess what? Nurses aren't always right/perfect."

If you look at my recent posts, you'll see I definitely don't always rush to other teachers' defence! I can be very critical if I hear of a colleague who has clearly messed up - our ds's Maths experiences being a case in point. If he is genuinely being called upon to help other children on a day to day basis then you need to complain loudly. And don't get me started on not giving marks for the correct method even though the answer is right, I've never heard anything so silly.

It's just that the thread wasn't started as a teacher bashing one - it was started to raise a smile - but it was obviously going to descend into one. Maybe posting the link was a little naive of the OP, but it's a bit depressing, is all.

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 18:12:25

That should read your ds's Maths experiences. blush

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 18:15:39

You are also right to say occasionally there are nurse bashing threads - however, there are several teacher bashing ones on a daily basis, so it can get a bit wearing, sometimes.

IndigoBell Sun 14-Nov-10 18:40:05

Feenie - you are right. At my new school all of the staff are fantastic, and at my old school a few of the staff were fantastic. Yet I rarely write good things about them on here.

In RL I rave about how good my new school and current teachers are. But I guess 'how wonderous art my teachers' don't make good threads

I really really do appreciate the good teachers I have. And I let them know that.

And I do appreciate most of the posts from teachers on here.

So, please don't feel that teachers aren't appreciated. MN does not represent RL in anyway.

Toughasoldboots Sun 14-Nov-10 18:49:26

I do have huge respect for teachers, but occasionally I feel utterly frustrated, powerless and unable to communicate with them ( well one in particular). I suppose that forum just puts those posters in a really bad light- I honestly didn't find it funny( and I do think that I have a sense of humour).

SoupDragon Sun 14-Nov-10 18:54:25

I actually found some of the comments in that TES thread insulting dither are certainly a couple of teachers there that I'm glad aren't teaching my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now