Talk

Advanced search

When are you meant to apply for 6th form?

(16 Posts)
sarah293 Sat 06-Nov-10 19:09:41

Message withdrawn

bubbles4 Sat 06-Nov-10 20:20:13

Do you mean for next September?
Ds who is in year 11 hasnt applied for his 6th form place yet and if I remember correctly it wasnt done until after Christmas when ds2 did his.
So I,m sure it isnt too late.

sarah293 Sat 06-Nov-10 21:04:57

Message withdrawn

Ponders Sat 06-Nov-10 21:06:10

Ours only just had its Open Evening.

I think the final deadline is in March???

JustGettingByMum Sun 07-Nov-10 17:42:23

Sorry Riven, I'm not sure, but I know that DS has already applied. I think (but could be wrong) that each school handles their own 6th form admission arrangements. I am guessing there is nothing helpful on the new school's website?

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 07-Nov-10 17:51:28

It varies according to different schools/colleges. DS2 has a place for sixth form college, and we had to apply in September. We are also applying for a place at his school, and their application doesn't have to be in until the end of November.

It would be helpful if they all had the same dates, like UCAS!

lazymumofteenagesons Sun 07-Nov-10 18:43:56

DS2 is going to see a mixture of 6th form colleges and 6th forms attached to schools. Most of the open days are in November and they give out te application forms then. They have to be in by end of January 2011 but I think there is good reason to get it in early. The school/college websites usually have details of the admissions procedure.

Ponders Sun 07-Nov-10 19:19:49

fwiw, DS2 didn't even apply to his 6th form college until April/May (normal deadline Jan/Feb). His predicted grades were good, as I'm guessing your DS's are too, Riven, & they were happy to slot him in.

I think 6th form colleges can be quite elastic!

camptownraces Sun 07-Nov-10 20:01:01

Sixth form colleges vary greatly - it depends how oversubscribed they are likely to be.

If it IS likely that the school/college will be oversubscribed, and particularly if they are not too choosy about GCSE etc grades, then get applications in asap - otherwise it might already be too late: the places could all be filled by now.

A very selective school, on the other hand, might be OK with an application in the last week of August for a candidate with stunning grades which have already been confirmed.

camptownraces Sun 07-Nov-10 20:06:59

PS to the above, another factor is the courses the candidate wishes to take in 6th form.

Some subjects fill all their slots quickly, and they may not have the staff to run another set. Others may not be as popular, but these risk being cancelled if the uptake is not great enough.

And of course, there is the old dilemma of "choosing one subject from each column on the sheet" - not all combinations of subjects are possible.

Could be worth talking to admissions staff about this issue, if they respond to telephone enquiries. They should be able to say if a particular subject is actually running this year.

mumeeee Sun 07-Nov-10 23:16:05

The 3 6th form colleges around here are have 2 or 3 open days during the year, They are having thier first ones around now and will have another one in January and then I think there is also one in March, So if young people change thier minds about what they want to do they can apply later in the year.

purits Mon 08-Nov-10 10:07:04

Why haven't you thought about this earlier OP? We are very happy with DS's school and he will probably stay there for sixthform but we have nevertheless been looking around other schools and colleges to make sure that it is still the best choice.
Your DS won't apply to only one University so why consider only one sixthform. Besides, you always need a Plan B.

Ponders Mon 08-Nov-10 10:46:36

purits, didn't you read the OP?

he wanted to stay where he is; he's having to change, because he won't be getting EMA any more as it's being scrapped angry & they needed it to pay for his bus travel.

purits Mon 08-Nov-10 12:30:18

Ponders, didn't you read my post? DS also wants to stay at our school but I am well aware that life doesn't always pan out the way you want it, so we started organising our Plan B at the beginning of the year. It's not rocket science.

mumoverseas Mon 08-Nov-10 13:08:41

When DS applied to 6th form the interviews were in the November the year before he started and we had to apply by October at the latest. The offer was made on 1st December.

A friend is just applying to 6 different colleges for her DD for 6th from and has the interviews the end of this week and next Monday.

Purits - the OP has a lot of other issues to deal with as her youngest child has severe medical issues perhaps you should cut her a bit of slack. Sometimes in those circumstances just managing Plan A is a major achievement and you don't really expect you Plan A to be scuppered by a sudden withdrawal of EMA.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: