Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Brand new school Twickenham

(24 Posts)
mebaasmum Mon 27-Sep-10 16:24:40

I was driving through Twickenham and noticed there is to be a new indie, Radnor House School. I was wondering what it would be like to be the first intake? How to assess whether the school would be any good? Does a new school fill up with people who cant get places anywhere else??? As this is to be a 7-18 school it would be quite a leapt of faith to send an 11 year old there but everyone could be full of enthusiasm and it could be brilliant. Any thoughts? I am interested to will go to the open day

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 28-Sep-10 15:05:12

I too saw it and looked at their website. It's very odd as they talk about what they do, but they haven't actually done anything yet!!

My two DC are tucked up at a school so we are not looking, but I shall be interested in how it evolves iyswim!

squashpie Tue 28-Sep-10 16:41:45

It's clearly a private company who are funding it, presumably, though I've no idea, with previous experience of setting up schools. All the people mentioned on the website are previous senior teachers/ headmasters etc of very very good schools, so that's a good start. I also liked the fact that they were striving for excellence and for 'future leaders' but were looking for a rounder focus than the purely academic. We need more schools round here that can cater for a range, rather than the high achievers and the ones who have specific special learning needs. I think it looks potentially great and I'll be very interested to see how it develops. My DC won't need it for another 4 or 5 years.

MmeBlueberry Tue 28-Sep-10 22:20:33

I think Radnor House is an expansion from their base in Redhill, so not a totally new school. They have moved into premises vacated by St James' Twickenham as they move to the former St David's Ashford site.

loopsngeorge Wed 29-Sep-10 22:40:03

Don't know anything about the new school but I went to school on that site - when it was St Catherine's! It's a lovely building and setting - it'll be interesting to see if they can make a go of it.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 30-Sep-10 16:09:47

Wasn't it where the nuns were kept?!

jackstarbright Thu 30-Sep-10 19:21:02

Loops - were you there with, or are you Patsy Kensit? I heard she was a St Catherine's old girl. It's still going - but moved over the road.

loopsngeorge Thu 30-Sep-10 20:56:32

She was in the senior school when I started in infants so can't claim to remember her I'm afraid!

Exogenesis Thu 30-Sep-10 21:04:47

Ohh another old St Catherines girl here grin do they still have the hats in infants?

jackstarbright Thu 30-Sep-10 21:46:37

You youngster loopssmile.

Exo - yep they still have cute hats in prep school. I spotted a few on display on the BBC's coverage of the Popes visit to St Mary's College.

fridayschild Fri 01-Oct-10 18:02:02

There is a new secondary school near my cousins' house in Scotland. They took the 11+ intake in year one, then a next lot the year after etc. This meant that the first kids were ALWAYS the oldest kids around, kings of the school. They are thought to be a bit big for their boots locally.

That's a state school though. I think the imperatives of funding a private school mean they would take a range of ages. The issue would be if they took those who had been asked to leave other school - the Harrodian School in Barnes had a reputation for this at the senior school level when it first started, and it's taken a while to shift.

labradoodlemum Thu 10-Feb-11 10:54:14

I have been to look round Radnor House and spoken at length to the management team. All very impressive. Great experience - Headmaster with 23 years experience, Chairman from Alleyns, Deputy from Harrodian and Dulwich. Lovely building and friendly atmosphere. I would suggest that mums look at it for themselves and make up their own minds. I think it will fill a much needed gap in the school market, for kids who are not up to the top academic schools like Kings, Latymer, Hampton but are still bright, good allrounders. Fab that you can go all the way through til 18 too and thay have a sibling policy.

cooney Sat 19-Feb-11 18:31:10

Has anybody's DC done the entrance exam to Radnor and if so how difficult was it compared to other schools like KGS

bettys Sun 20-Feb-11 08:21:25

I have friends whose dc did the Radnor exam, and the impression I get is that it was easier than KGS. Also they interviewed first, like Emanuel and Ibstock.

mrswoodentop Sun 20-Feb-11 15:15:33

One of my sons teachers is going to this school.His pic is on the site ,he is doing SEN and sport,very young very enthusiastic ,my son will miss him greatly .the building looks amazing by the way

xxxyyyy Sun 20-Feb-11 20:13:15

I'm seriously tempted by this school. Friendly, light, open and real ambition for the children. We really like the head and the deputy head. And, yes they're doing it up beautifully. I think they will give the children a seriously good eduction and have time for each as individuals. Do others think so too?

labradoodlemum Mon 21-Feb-11 18:15:14

Yes very tempted. Have been offered a place and probably going to accept. Feel that they will definitely be looking after the individual. I really like the head and deputy and good to hear the feedback about other new teacher from mrswoodentop. I think that the enthusiasm and excitement of a new start up will outweigh any teething problems of a new school. Let me know whether you go for it xxxyyyy!

Azure Tue 22-Feb-11 09:03:29

My niece has just accepted a place for Y7. Her parents had a good feeling about it and liked the emphasis on the rounded individual. I haven't been around yet but like the sound of it for my son for 2012.

cooney Sat 26-Feb-11 22:04:42

Was there today, Headmaster said that they had 70 applicants for year 7 at the first assessment sitting in December. Kids ranged from average to some getting 98%. They are sitting 4 or 5 every Monday for assessment (for all years) at the moment. It was very busy today, much busier that when I went in November. Met your sons teacher mrswoodentop, yes he is very enthuastic in fact all the teachers seemed very enthuastic and excited for their new venture. Came away thinking that would be happy for DS join. Lack of outside space being the only drawback.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 26-Feb-11 23:25:22

Lack of outside space being one of the factors that made St J's move on, although they were often to be seen on Radnor gardens next door.

cooney Sat 12-Mar-11 07:48:48

DS has sat the exam and been offered a place. He likes the fact that it is a small school, and is excited about being one of its first pupils

lorismum Sun 24-Sep-17 00:26:39

so, after 7 years, is the school still good as promised?

cattawailing Sun 24-Sep-17 14:00:33

* ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT *

Suggest you start a new thread lorismum with the school name in the title, if you want to get up to date views. There have been another 3 new secondaries established in Twickenham since Radnor House opened so this thread title is a bit dated and probably won't attract the audience you're after.

For what it's worth though, I know someone who was teaching at RH for a while and wasn't complimentary about it. I think you can do just as well in a good local state school if you can get a place.

Mamameena Wed 11-Oct-17 00:29:49

Hi lorismum. My daughter started in year 7 last year. Love this school. Great mix of academic and pastoral care. I was initially worried about the size of the school- it's turned out to be an advantage. Caring environment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now