Talk

Advanced search

Appeal not allowed, what next ?

(6 Posts)
Misstate Wed 14-Jul-10 21:22:33

We attended my daughters appeal yesterday and today have been advised that the appeal has been not allowed, I still think our case is strong and would like to know what the next step would be ?

Also, has anyone got into a school after appeal has been not allowed ? if so how ?

Thanks in advance x

RedFraggle Wed 14-Jul-10 22:28:57

Check the guidelines for re-appealing. We lost our first appeal but re-appealed as our situation had changed sufficiently to give grounds for a new appeal

Second time around I was much more prepared. Had done research, compiled a booklet for panel members including map of area highlighting where the school was in relation to our house + where the school the council wanted our dd to attend was etc.

Also, you have to really have a great argument. Why is this school place so important for your child? You have to make them see that your child not attending this school will be detrimental to their education. This detriment must outweigh the issue of an additional child in the class impacting on other children's education.

Sorry - not the best explanation, but I'm tired!

Panelmember Wed 14-Jul-10 22:39:27

If your appeal has been rejected, your options are (1) judicial review of the panel's decision, which will be slow, costly and likely to fail unless you can demonstrate that the panel's decision was so bizarre that no reasonable panel could have taken the same decision or (2) an approach to the Local Government Ombudsman, but here you would need to be able to pinpoint some flaw in the way the panel conducted itself (not adhering to provisions of the appeal code, say). Neither of these would give you a straight re-hearing of the original appeal, as each has a particular focus.

Was this a primary or secondary appeal? What were your grounds of appeal? Have you received detailed reasons for the panel's decision?

Your other route into the school would be via the waiting list. It's not that rare for someone near the top of the waiting list to appeal, the appeal fails but other children don't take up their places and they get offered a place from the list.

BetsyBoop Thu 15-Jul-10 10:55:17

Just to add another option, you are allowed to appeal once (per school) in each academic year (or if a significant change of circs as redfraggle mentioned) so you can appeal again in September if you wish.

mnistooaddictive Thu 15-Jul-10 17:33:37

I think that as hard as it is, it is not to be! Not everyone can get the school they want and you need to look at other options and start planning for that. If you can appeal again, you will be fortunate but if not will have a plan B.

panelmember Fri 16-Jul-10 11:04:37

You're quite right, BetsyBoop. I was getting my threads muddled and thought that point had been made further up the thread. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now