Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Should I start a paypal dispute? Sorry, long post

(23 Posts)
ninja Sun 25-Oct-09 21:16:12

Basically about a month ago (maybe more?) I won a buggy off ebay. It was near where I work one day a week so I thought easy, I xcan collect.

Checked the listing and the seller stated that she would only accept payment through paypal, so paid and sent an e-mail to arrange collection.

Firstly she e-mails back 'why didn't you do cash on collection paypal have charged me £9.50' - this is for a £42 item so I'm a bit surprised but just say that she'd asked for paypal and was she sure it wasn't ebay fees....

I arrange to collect on Wed when I'm near, but then she said she couldn't make it so I thought I'd drive the 35 miles (about 50min drive) to collect it on my day off.

I arrive (having texted before I left), but she's not there. Iwait 30 mins and then have to leave to collect DD1 from school. As you can imagine I'm pretty miffed.

She then e-mails saying sorry she was attacked and her phone stolen. Then later e-mailed that the police had her phone and the sim had been stopped and then later texted me hmm to say her sim was in her mum's phone. At this point I'm a bit suspicious, but I don't want to make a fuss so I arrange to pick up the next week.

The next week she get's in touch as I'm setting off (v. lucky I got it) to say the garage was locked and her partner had the key ..

Says her partner will drop it in at the weekend. At the weekend guess what, child ill he can't make it.

OK so I'm getting a bit hacked off but staying calm. Finally agree that she'll bring it to where I'm working on Wed (as I can't collect after), it's not ideal but I want to get it sorted - at the last minurte ... it's got a puncture....

Well I've had enough and ask to be refunded. She agrees but tells me that there's a problem with paypal so I agree to take a cheque and...

it never arrives. I text her, oh it's been sent second class recoreded. I say well it should be here by now, we're getting post despite the postal strikes and anyway days before that but I say I'll give her til monday.

Today I get a text saying the bank says it's been delivered to the wrong address, on a Sunday hmm

This is getting ridiculous - tell me that going through paypal seems reasonable in the circumstances.

Sorry this is so long

3cutedarlings Sun 25-Oct-09 21:20:39

Without a shadow of a doubt open a PP dispute now!! as you know she is talking the P to the max angry

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 21:21:44

Certainly contact them, don't know what they can do if she has withdrawn the payment.

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Sun 25-Oct-09 21:47:28

Open a dispute and put in a claim now!!!!!!

Tbh I have a feeling she may of cleared her paypal account now but you should still get a refund through them.

Go and do it now.

aristoBLACKcat Sun 25-Oct-09 23:39:40

have you opened a dispute?

this is awfulsad what a cheeky mare!

let us know what happens ninja

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sun 25-Oct-09 23:45:40

open a dispute.worth a try!she sounds like a pita

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 23:47:36

don't leave it any longer than you have to; we ordered a wash stand that came damaged and the bloke said he's send a new one. It took longer than the dispte time to arrive and so then the order number wasn't valid and we couldn't get the £214 back! Well peed off!
Can't believe she was such a cow.

ninja Mon 26-Oct-09 07:53:01

well I've opened a dipute and escalated it to a claim as to be honest I don't know what moere I can do to try and resolve this myself. I did warn her on Thursday that I'd do this if it wasn't sorted by Monday.

Thanks - I'll let you know what happened.

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Mon 26-Oct-09 08:17:44

one thing, never tell the seller you will be opening a dispute on such and such date. It gives them chance to empty their account.

ninja Mon 26-Oct-09 08:48:41

whoops - i'm too trusting

NewPinkPup Mon 26-Oct-09 09:53:59

as you've put in a claim paypal will take the money from her account and hold it until it's sorted - if it's empty it will take her balance into a negative balance i think. If you win you should get the money & then they will owe paypal. - i think until she repays them her paypal & ebay accounts will be blocked.

ILoveStripeySocks Mon 26-Oct-09 14:06:56

As said, it doesnt matter if they empty their account, you still get your refund. She gets debt collectors grin

ninja Mon 26-Oct-09 15:43:52

Let's hope it doesn't come to that

ninja Tue 27-Oct-09 21:46:55

Well I got a cheque in the post today .... sent yesterday.

Then a nasty e-mail saying that she'd told paypal that I must be trying to get the money twice as I already had the cheque angry and calling me stupid.

I was furious and several texts later she's catching herself out with her own lies. She said she's sent the cheque on the 22nd (which she said was the day after I asked for a refund). I had actually asked for a refund on 15th and on 22nd she's told me , and I have the text to prove it, that she'd put the cheque in the post a couple of days before.

So... I guess I feel better that she has been messing me around and I'm not imagining it.

I won't close the dispute though until the cheque has cleared

maxybrown Fri 30-Oct-09 08:08:44

No don't close the dispute! She is just lying completely!! Surely she would have had a tracking number for her recorded post anyway????? I am angry for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you get money and another one!! Sheesh, some people.

ninja Fri 30-Oct-09 08:12:22

Thanks Maxy. I've put the cheque in so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Tbh by the end (well actually right from the start) she was getting tripped up by her lies.

Not found another yet, but still looking!

maxybrown Fri 30-Oct-09 08:17:42

I will keep eyes peeled too grin

ninja Fri 30-Oct-09 08:20:32

Thanks, there's one finishing in 10 hours on ebay, so I'll have to make sure I'm around this eve

PoisonToadstool Fri 30-Oct-09 08:21:20

I would send the cheque back and continue with Paypal... but I see you've cashed it, can you call the bank?

FWIW I would not accept Paypal for collection - it gives the seller NO protection as you cannot prove collection ever took place - but it is easy to refund. I sold something for £60 on ebay and the buyer paid via Paypal straight away - I explained about cash on collection, so refunded her, it was fine. And btw, the fees on £65 (as included postage which I obv did not charge!) was about £2.50.

ninja Fri 30-Oct-09 08:48:15

If there were extra fees I suspect they were the ebay ones, but she probably didn't realise that they would charge.

I don't think she's the brightest cookie and possibly couldn't work out how to refund ...

I would have paid cash on collection if it'd been put down as an option.

Oh well you live and learn ...

maxybrown Fri 30-Oct-09 08:56:16

let's face it, she has been rather untruthful anyway, the fees thing was just another one to add. Lots of people DO state PP only, even on collection, even though I would prefer it not to be myself for the same reasons as outlined above. Basically she is untrustworthy all round anyway!!

Ninja lol at the listing going tonight, I emailed you grin

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Fri 30-Oct-09 12:50:38

i sometimes pay paypal even if I am collection. Hope the cheque clearr ninja.

mogs0 Fri 30-Oct-09 13:38:48

The last buggy I sold I'd ticked the cash on collection option on TL and when I tried to upload it said that I couldn't have that as an option anymore.

The lady who bought the buggy paid immediately by PP and I did consider printing off the receipt and getting her to sign it when she collected (but forgot blush!). I don't know if this would be legally binding though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now