Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

In a free postage catagory,can seller state p+p price in listing and make you pay it?

(9 Posts)

Item i am watching is in a free postage catagory.
In the listing they have stated that they can't add a postage cost and that postage will be £x. Can they make you pay that or as it is in free listing catagory do they have to offer free postage?

ie If i bid and win the item then pay before they send invoice will they be able to make me pay postage? Or will Ebay not allow it?

sixlostmonkeys Tue 20-Oct-09 19:25:35

they have to offer free postage and can offer a charged for second option.
they are wrong in doing what they are doing and can be reported.
you will end up with nothing but trouble from them I'd guess.

they can't make you pay the postage but also you can't make them send you the item - tho you can go through the rigmarole of item not received dispute

aristoBLACKcat Tue 20-Oct-09 21:57:10

yes. i have seen this too.

agree with 6lm that you could report them, wouldnt get item anyway and end up in a dispute.

not worth the trouble IMO.

piscesmoon Tue 20-Oct-09 22:17:18

I am so fed up with ebay's new postage rules that I am posting everything free but start it much higher than I used to. That way I get the postage that I want!

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 20-Oct-09 22:23:54

In short what are ebays new postage rules then........

For me ebay = confused

I cant get my head round it blush

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 21-Oct-09 09:11:17

LIW - some catagories have free P+P now, ones that I remember are DVDS & books. A seller cannot mak eyou pay postage, ebay want you to increase your starting price (more fees for them, as they dont get any comission on postage fees!).

piscesmoon Wed 21-Oct-09 19:21:06

Yes-it makes me cross-I used to start everything really cheap and charge proper postage. Now there are somethings that they won't let you charge postage on and so you would be paying someone to take it if you started at 99p! You can only charge £2.70 as the top postage on a book, despite the fact it is going to cost you £5-therefore again you have to start it at £6 instead of 99p and it is Ebay in the win, win situation. I have given up-I work out the postage and start £1 above. It was perfectly OK before-if someone was charging too much for postage you didn't have to bid.

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 21-Oct-09 20:58:58

Oh I see thanks to you both I get it now - that is fairly pants for the seller then

How frustrating - is selling books on Amazon or alibris any better?

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 25-Oct-09 18:05:25

LauraIngallsWilder - I've never sold on Alibris, but I do now prefer to list on Amazon if I am selling books, DVDs and CDs. It is very straightforward and quick to do, no faffing about taking photos and uploading them etc. Pretty much everything has sold fairly quickly too, and if they don't sell then at least listing them didn't cost you anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now