Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is there some way to protest agains eBay's stupid postage rules?

(10 Posts)
Salemchocolates Tue 20-Oct-09 14:10:51

I've been selling bits and pieces on eBay lately to top up my SMP.
Anyway, the free postage is really really bugging me. Actually, it's making me v. angry. It's a way to force me to have a starting bid of more than 99p. I've just tried to relist a magazine and have worked out that I'd have to have a £1.84 starting bid, rather than a 99p one to make it worth it. This will definitely put buyers off.
eBay say they want to bring eBay in line with other companies, which is obviously twaddle, because most people selling via eBay aren't companies, but just people trying to get some cash for rubbish things they don't want anymore. Also higher starting bids will more than likely put buyers off and would in the long run damage eBay just as much as buyers finding the postage costs too high.
So does anyone know if there is some sort of "sellers unite against eBay" action going on anywhere? Is there some way to complain and is there an alternative, because if eBay sees it's sellers leave in droves, then obviously they'll all want us back!

Iklboo Tue 20-Oct-09 14:14:28

Silly question (from me) - why are you selling a magazine on ebay? By that I mean what magazine is it?
Sometimes selling books, CDs, DVDs etc is better via Amazon cos they set the postage price

clop Tue 20-Oct-09 14:15:08

You should check Ebays own forums, see if there are hints there.
Most companies charge a flat rate of £4 for postage of items valuing under £20, so don't ask me what Ebay is thinking!?

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 14:17:16

What free postage thing????

thisisyesterday Tue 20-Oct-09 14:18:41

you don't have to offer free postage do you it isn't that long ago since i put stuff on and i was allowed to charge postage

frakula Tue 20-Oct-09 14:19:13

Some categories don't let you charge postage - DVDs for example, and laptop cases!

Salemchocolates Tue 20-Oct-09 15:34:24

Yes, some categories don't let you list the item unless you do free postage. My journals are subject to it, as are some mobile phone socks I've got spare too and a silk scarf I'm selling. It's really p'd me off.
I'm selling some midwifery journals that are lying around and are in my way. I've noticed they tend to sell.
I'm wondering if eBay consulted sellers before bringing in the changes.

Earthstar Sun 25-Oct-09 17:33:32

Ebay is moving away from private sellers towards businesses selling new stuff as it believes there is more money to be made from businesses than from individuals.

I used to sell around 30 items a month via ebay - now it's just not worth the effort with all the new rules that are so unfair to sellers, plus increasing postal charges.

Meglet Sun 25-Oct-09 21:47:48

I sold a couple of magazines last month (UK & Italian vogue) postage was £4 (but I was only allowed a maximum of £2.75 IIRC) so I just added it to the auction price and explained what I had done in the listing. They sold and the buyer was fine with it.

But it does piss me off that I have to start items over 99p now as I will be out of pocket if they don't sell.

I did have a look at the e-bay forums and some members said there is a way around it if you list collection only as the first 'postage' option then you can list the true p&p price as the second option, I couldn't figure out how to do it though.

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Sun 25-Oct-09 22:03:54

Think about it...

You list something with a higher starting bid = fees for ebay.

Said item doesn't sell, so you relist = more fees for ebay.

That is why they are doing it

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now