Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can you make a living from E-bay?

(7 Posts)
Calamansi Sun 11-Oct-09 19:53:43

Please can I be cheeky and ask if anyone makes a descent second (or even first?) income from e-bay?

I've got into it selling all the clutter in our house and now am wondering if it's feisable if I could find a way - like buying stuff to buy wholesale to sell on, or getting stuff at boot sales to sell on that I can earn enough to work part time?

If anyone does please do give me hope, as I work full time (fcurrently a inancial necessity) as am desperate to spend more time with my kids and am so fed up of missing school plays, assemblies etc as my annual leave needs to be saved up for school holidays...

If anyone does or knows someone who does this please can you tell me so I can be inspired to try and find a way grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 11-Oct-09 19:55:16

If you buy stuff to sell on, rather than just clearing out your own stuff, you'll be running a business and will have to sort out your own tax and so on. But it looks like plenty folk do it, so you can but try!

Calamansi Sun 11-Oct-09 19:57:39

I've looked into the tax side ans have kind of got my head around it I'm just lacking confidence I suppose blush and looking for someone like me who is doing it to give me the confidence to try

sixlostmonkeys Mon 12-Oct-09 08:41:10

I do it. But, to be honest I'm only just scraping by. I do it for the reasons you say - to spend more time with my ds (and also because my arthritis is getting worse and so restricting the types of work I can do etc)

I always say stick to what you know. Unfortunately there is no easy route of finding a good wholesale supplier, listing and selling. - unless you think of something no one else has thought of smile

I'd suggest starting off small - especially as you already work. Maybe set aside 6 hours a week selling (and filling in tax stuff sad ) If this works, ie your product shifts well and at a reasonable profit then you will have more confidence to take the next step.

good luck

Carrotfly Mon 12-Oct-09 10:05:00

My neighbour earns enough to cover her sons school fees ... or so she tells me !

Sounds good, but she does spend hour upon hour on the PC.

Its worth a go, if you dont try you will never know.

slushy06 Mon 12-Oct-09 17:37:09

I used to but have quit due to having a baby I could make about 200 a month (Which I kept for xmas and bdays and buying new stock) by spending 5 hour a week online also you need to do your market research to make sure it will sell.
Remember that some items wont sell while some will sell brilliantly. Although if you can knit you can sell 6+ month sets for about 20 quid. Good luck but start small.

Calamansi Mon 12-Oct-09 18:56:24

thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now