Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

help, posted item have proof of postage, person claiming not recieved and paypal have taken MY money!

(23 Posts)
carriedababi Tue 22-Sep-09 09:02:28

the swines

i posted something on the 5th
1st class and have proof of postage

value is 35pound
plus i paid pound postage

i went to the post office to find out what i could do to help.
they gave me the missing item form
it say you cannot send a cliam in until 15 WORKING days until the item has not been recived as they wouldn't consider it missing until then
i have to print out copies of my paypal account and ebay to go with the form and the orginial receipt which is a pain but i don't mind doing.

ive explained all this to the person buying who has now launched at paypal claim with me
and they have frozen 35 quid of my money and 15 of which was to by my dn a gift

what can i do?
please help?

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 22-Sep-09 09:03:49

I'm afraid proof of postage isn't enough, you have to have sent it recorded to stand any chance of winning a claim like this I'm afraid

Knickers0nmahead Tue 22-Sep-09 09:06:20

Sorry but the buyer will win in this case.

Paypal are twats though. They have taken over £200 out of my paypal becuase of a crappy lying ebayer.

carriedababi Tue 22-Sep-09 09:06:36

omg so i've lost my money then?

carriedababi Tue 22-Sep-09 09:07:30

how long will it take for paypal to give him my money?
fucking bastard

hes probably has fucking well had it too

Knickers0nmahead Tue 22-Sep-09 09:10:04

I'm afraid so. Always always send recorded!

I didnt even have enough funds in mine yet they have still refunded him as 'item not as described'

Its stupid, but paypal almost always work in the buyers favour.

Knickers0nmahead Tue 22-Sep-09 09:11:27

You could try and catch the buyer out by saying

Sorry you have not received your item, I will check tracking to see if someone else has signed for it.

Sometimes this catches people out and they say ' you cant because you didnt send recorded'

Obviously, they will only know that if the have gotten it.

carriedababi Tue 22-Sep-09 09:12:49

he hasn't even given me enough time to send the claim off to royail mail

do you think
royaail mail will refund the 34 at least, i thought i was covered upto 39quid?
with the proof of postage

i am so mad, i have a horrible feeling hes has actually recieved that item aswell

WriggleJiggle Tue 22-Sep-09 09:15:27

I have heard of people posting an empty envelope recorded delivery. They then have a recorded delivery tracking number to the right address. So are able to 'prove' to ebay they did send the item.

I don't agree with doing that, and I'm not sure that it works. I guess I'd have to be pretty mad with the buyer to have a go at it.

MrsSaxon Tue 22-Sep-09 11:22:59

You have proof of postage, not proof that the item was received. There are a lot of strikes on at the moment so its possible he hasn't received it.

I think your best bet is to keep hem sweet as he will need to fill out the forms that Royal Mail send him for you to get your refund.

Knickers0nmahead Tue 22-Sep-09 16:45:37

MrsSaxon, paypal doesnt work like that though. If seller cant prove posting, then paypal will refund, without the buyer having to fill in forms. It will have to be the seller that claims from royal mail.

Knickers0nmahead Tue 22-Sep-09 16:46:29

Sorry, read your reply wrong blush

Tortoise Tue 22-Sep-09 16:53:59

You will get a refund from royal mail.
I have had problems with not getting mail because of postage strikes.

What makes you think they have the item and are lying? Does their feedback show previous lost items?

I would hate to think the person i bought a DS off, and not yet recieved, isn't thinking the same as you. Postage strikes are causing a lot of mail to be held in depots.

carriedababi Tue 22-Sep-09 19:13:38

i think he's a con because hes not giving me the chance to claim from royail mail you can't claim till 15 working days.
hes not giving me a chance to sort it, just making a paypal claim against me.

how long will it take for paypal to refund him?
in other words how long do i have to get this sorted?

thanks very much for your help.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Tue 22-Sep-09 19:20:22

Don't assume he is conning you, it's not his fault you didn't send it recorded. Why should a genuine buyer have to wait for their cash back? It just doesn't work like that on Ebay anyway, you have to refund then sort out the refund for yourself from Royal Mail.
As soon as he files a dispute for on delivery and you cannot prove delivery is when he will be awarded his refund.

There are guidelines on ebay help fiules that will tell him/you when to do what - when he can start his claim (think it's ten days) and how long you have to respond (think thats 7)

Lesson learnt, always send recorded no matter how small the item is in value.

SqueezyCheese Tue 22-Sep-09 19:28:52

I received 2 things today that I paid for 17!!!! days ago. When I wrote last week to ask if they had been posted, one of the sellers was really nice and explained about the strikes. The other seller was cheeky, so I opened a dispute which I closed today because the item arrived.

In these cases a buyer has 45 days to start a claim for an item thru ebay, so by the time you wait 15 working days to claim and by the time the claim is sorted with RM, those 45 days might be up and the buyer has lost their money. It is not right that a buyer should have to wait on you making a claim.

Also, when you claim from Royal Mail, the buyer has to respond to RM saying they never received the item or you will not get your money back from RM, so it is best to treat your buyer as genuine and hope that they comply with the RM request for info.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Tue 22-Sep-09 19:32:55

That last part is a very good point Squeezycheese - if I had a bolshy seller accusing me of being out to con them, they could go swing for my help when it comes to the Royal Mail paperwork! grin

ChilloHippi Tue 22-Sep-09 19:44:05

It is up to you to claim from RM, I'm afraid, and the buyer is entitled to a refund from you if it hasn't turned up. In the end you shouldn't be out of pocket if RM reimburse you.
It's best to not spend Paypal funds until you know your buyer has received the item and is happy with it.

Tortoise Tue 22-Sep-09 19:54:23

Agree with others. It is Ebay policy to give buyer a refund then claim from RM yourself. Can't expect a buyer to wait for their money back. RM claim doesn't take too long to sort as long as you have the receipt.

Carrotfly Wed 23-Sep-09 11:15:58

Do royal mail REALLY contact the buyer though ?

I've had a parcel not arrive once ... but never been contacted by RM even though the seller said she was going to claim.

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 23-Sep-09 11:21:04

They are really cracking down on it now, with so many ebay parcels going missing

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Tue 29-Sep-09 22:47:23

Any update?

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 03-Oct-09 15:29:49

I've only ever had one item not received via RM, I did get a letter from them asking me t confirm the item description was correct, the value I paid for it and it asked me to confirm it had not arrived.

The seller had put a inflated value on the RM claim and I then had a further letter from RM asking if I would mind providing proof of the amount paid.

I was impressed with the checks they made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now