Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

quick query: "item condition: - "

(8 Posts)
claudialyman Thu 17-Sep-09 21:11:43

What condition is the item in when the seller has a dash (-) in the item condition field? Does this mean irrelevant question as the item is brand new? [hopeful face!]

thisisyesterday Thu 17-Sep-09 21:12:38

hmm i would assume it was used. i think if it was new they'd have said that to encourage bidders, so would take it as a no

claudialyman Thu 17-Sep-09 21:31:54

thanks good to know while clothes-browsing for my son

Just recently when I have been listing I haven't been given the option of entering 'item condition' no idea why, sometimes it just disapears. I would always put it somewhere in the listing though, generally new items will say, BN, BNWT, BNIP, or BNWOT in the title.

PinkTulips Fri 18-Sep-09 10:44:42

it just means they haven't answered that question, is there any further info in the description... sellers usually say what condition the item is at some point in the blurb

claudialyman Fri 18-Sep-09 19:44:08

Most of them that havent answered the question have said new in the item description, which is why i hoped it was some sort of secret ebay code. it was the ones that didnt i wondered about, makes a big difference to whether its a bargin or not! Thanks, will bear in mind that if its not in title or desription probably not new or they'd have managed to work it in somewhere. Am off to look up your interesting acronyms wtwta smile

notcitrus Fri 18-Sep-09 19:54:31

If you do 'quick sell' or a listing service like Auctiva you don't get all those options.
So '-' just means not filled in.

However certain categories you aren't allowed to sell used items - cloth nappies and wraps, for example (Ebay call them 'underwear'...), but people often get round that by just not mentioning it, as they only notice if you list the condition as used or someone reports it.

I've listed a few things recently that are techinically 'new' but have been at the back of a drawer and got wrinkled or dusty so didn't want to tick 'new' in case someone complained.

claudialyman Sat 19-Sep-09 09:44:32

this ebay thing does have a lot of layers to it then! seemed like going by seller feedback was the way to go but i can see on here that buyers can give bad feedback but not sellers and sellers can get banned for it fairly easily. Great that mumsnet has an ebay thread to make some sense of the madness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now