Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

not another scam! any experts want to tell me what to do next

(19 Posts)
zebrano Mon 14-Sep-09 17:43:16

Replaced my bugaboo cameleon chassis with the 2008 version and sold the older one on ebay....it was spotless, worked perfectly imo.

Buyer (0 feedback) emailed today saying the brake doesn't work and she wants half the money refunded.

I told her to send my chassis back and i'd refund.

I security marked the chassis with an invisible pen because i'd heard about these scams but now it has actually happened, i'm not sure this counts for anything.
(i'm thinking she has bought my chassis + now will send a different faulty one in its place)

What actions are best for me here.....treading carefully!

EldonAve Mon 14-Sep-09 17:47:10

I think you need to tell her it's security marked

EldonAve Mon 14-Sep-09 17:47:33

or does it have a serial number?

sixlostmonkeys Mon 14-Sep-09 18:02:41

tell her to send it back and once you have checked the security mark and the fault you may be in a position to refund.

psst - if she sends it back and it isn't yours you may still have a fight on your hands, but...... if she doesn't send it back trackable... wink

zebrano Mon 14-Sep-09 18:33:42

it does have a security number but i forgot to write it down! blush

the thing is, if she did send a different faulty one back whose side would ebay/paypal take as it is my word against hers? Even if i tell them i marked it?

The reason I think it is dodgy - if the brake truly didn't work she would want a full refund i think - not just half the money back? Would mean she had spent 51 pounds on a chassis with no brakes?? I know i wouldn't!

zebrano Mon 14-Sep-09 22:14:08

now buyer is saying that her husband has tried to repair it and it's in pieces, and I should just refund her the half as it is of no use now, she says I won't be able to sell it again, she says she is a solicitor etc etc.

Why doesn't she just send it back, I offered to pay the return postage too, why have they taken it apart?? Do I have to accept it now it has been taken apart?
Everything i've said is over an above what i am required to do. God, I hate ebay!!

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Mon 14-Sep-09 22:17:29

I'd just keep asking her to return it tbh, and tell her that once you've identified it with the security mark you'll refund, whether it's in pieces or not. Call her bluff!

whyme2 Mon 14-Sep-09 22:22:29

Hold your ground - keep asking for it back. Although if they have tampered with it I would be tempted to say you can't do anything about it now as they have altered the condition of the item.

navyeyelasH Mon 14-Sep-09 22:24:39

I'd mention you need her to send it bac so you can check the serial number (fib a bit!) and the security mark. See what she says then?

dingdong05 Mon 14-Sep-09 22:24:57

Don't know about the way this "should" be done, but my insitincts say you're right to suspect her. You've even offered to pay the return postage and she's still refusing? If it really was faulty why didn't she send it back and get a full refund to spend on a good one?

I doubt you have aggreed to partial refunds in your p&p terms, and I'm pretty sure there's no ebay rules about it, but I may be wrong.

I'd call her bluff and say you need the chassis to check the fault, number and security tag before you can give her a full refund. Give her clear instructions on the return, and you can even arrange a company to pick it up from her, whatever makes it easier for her, but you have to have the faulty goods returned.

IMO I don't think that is unreasonable, and a genuine buyer with a genuine problem shouldn't either.

Good luck with it!

dingdong05 Mon 14-Sep-09 22:28:21

I'd also side with whyme2, no business would accept a retun after the customer has interfeered with the engineering.

Ooo, I'm getting annoyed on your behalf angry

littleducks Mon 14-Sep-09 22:33:44

id be careful though its a small world on the internet, i dont think you should keep the post up revealing you dont have serial number

in fact im sure if you looked hard enough you could find it written somewhere

zebrano Mon 14-Sep-09 22:37:11

I just feel really cross because I have done over and above what is required of me, yet I am always hearing that paypal find in favour of the buyer so I don't hold much hope!

And I definitely expect my first negative from this one....she's been a member for 6 days and has 1 pos feedback ---from me!

Should I suggest DH and I drive to pick it up? Its about an hour away?

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 22:40:36

Refuse the half refund, stick to your guns.

Give her a time limit- "If I have not heard from you/received the item by x(date), I will assume you no longer require a refund".

If you bought an item from a shop, you would not go back to the shop without the item and tell them it was faulty and to refund half the price; if you then returned the item in pieces, you would be laughed out of the shop.

If she leaves negative feedback, you can get it removed by ebay- make sure you keep a copy of all correspondence so you can prove a refund was offered on receipt of goods. She is obviously trying it on and ebay will see that and find in your favour in the unlikely event she leaves negative feedback.

zebrano Mon 14-Sep-09 22:42:58

littleducks - you are right. But its ok because DH just checked the digital camera for the photos he took of the chassis, and there is one there of the date/serial number! What a pity I didn't post that one on the actual listing as that would have been excellent evidence for ebay/paypal.

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 22:43:01

Don't offer to pick it up- you have already offered to pay postage, which you are not obliged to do.

She will send you on wild goose chase.

EldonAve Tue 15-Sep-09 06:56:01

Send her a final msg saying if she wants a refund she needs to return it to you in the original condition that she received it

After checking the condition, serial number and security mark you will refund her

Then ignore her unless you receive the goods back

sixlostmonkeys Tue 15-Sep-09 08:32:25

eldonAve is right.

You are under no obligation to give a partial refund and a full refund can only be given once the item is return in the condition it was received.

Simply tell her that now it has been tampered with there is nothing you can do. then leave it at that. If she opens a dispute she stands no chance.

If she leaves a neg you can reply with "Buyer took it apart then wanted money back"

seriously - she is just trying it on Big Time. No refund

zebrano Tue 15-Sep-09 09:08:22

OK, I haven't heard anything for a while now. So looks like, as we suspected all along she has been trying it on.
Will leave it until later to see if there is a response. I'm predicting that the buyer will no longer be a registered user or something!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now