Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay sellers, have you had an increasing number of problem buyers recently?

(23 Posts)
tigermoth Sun 06-Sep-09 09:05:53

Over the past few months I have had more than the usual number of buyer complaints. And increasingly, some very nitpicking and wierd ones ie:

One buyer wanted a full refund because her secondhand dress had two inside poppers that were 'not sewn on securely'.

Another buyer complained that a vintage dress I sent her had a sweaty smell. I immediately offerd to send her money for a dry clean, but she wanted me to add a full refund to her paypal account on trust immediatly, BEFORE she posted the dress back to me to examine. When I suggested I needed to see the dress first, she accused me of suspecting she was dishonest. I did eventually get the dress back, after promising her by email I'd refund her, but there was no smell of sweat. I refunded her anyway, as in one day alone she had sent me 6 long, ranting emails about this.

I could go on - I have been selling on ebay for several years and always expect the odd wierdo complainer, but this summer, there's been far more of them.

Anyone else had this?

southeastastra Sun 06-Sep-09 11:46:58

be very wary. we have been banned for four weeks for seller non - performance. it's a farce. please check your seller dashboard (which is hidden unhelpfully under 'account')

expatinscotland Sun 06-Sep-09 11:56:53

i never sell on Ebay now after being scammed by a buyer a year and a half ago.

tigermoth Sun 06-Sep-09 18:09:24

Thanks southeastastra - I have now checked my seller dashboard and it seems fine at the moment, but as I've experienced some very wierd behaviour from buyers, so I will be checking it regularly.

In the past, if I buyer emailed me with a complaint that was really unjustified and also threatened me with negative feedback, I'd tell them I'd report them to ebay for feedback extortion. But I am now getting very wary of doing this.

expat, what sort of scam was it, if you don't mind me asking?

The whole feel of ebay now seems more weighted against the seller. I really resent the fact that I can no longer leave a feedback warning about difficult buyers to let other ebay sellers know.

crokky Sun 06-Sep-09 18:13:50

eBay has been going down the pan for quite some time. I had 1000+ all positives and got my first neutral recently and it was totally unjustified. Despite having 100% proof I was correct, there was no chance of it being removed. The buyer ignored my very polite request to revise it, eBay don't give a damn.

They have changed policies to make stuff really annoying - ie sell a load of books, but you can't charge over about £2.75 (I think) for postage even if it's a large parcel! You can't charge postage on DVDs at all, even boxsets. I'll just get the stork to deliver it all shall I?

prees Sun 06-Sep-09 19:00:10

This all started when it became the rule that sellers are not allowed to give negative feedback to a buyer. now they can say what they like without fear of repercussion - we have had a few claiming they haven't recieved when it was sent signed for, some complaining it was not as descibed and asking for a partial refund. We had to oblige or receive a negative ourselves. We had 100% up to the moment they changed the rules, now certain uscrupulous buyers know exactly what they can do...Every time we put a batch of things on to sell we get 2 or 3 that mess us around - this did not used to happen.

piscesmoon Sun 06-Sep-09 19:15:21

I have just come across the postage rule which is bizarre-if people don't like the postage then they don't need to bid. I listed a book that was going to cost around £4.40 to post, that was without packing and yet I could only charge £2.75 for postage! I complained and there seemed to be a way of going into other courier but I was only wanting to use parcel post. I ended up charging the £2,75 but it meant that I had to list a starting price that was way above 99p and so ups the charges to ebay.
I don't know why we can't give feed back on buyers-it seems so unfair.

piscesmoon Sun 06-Sep-09 19:18:51

The other thing that really annoys me is that buyers don't understand the word 'dispatch'-I couldn't be quicker to dispatch and should get 5 stars everytime but people count how long it takes for the post to arrive and I always post 2nd class to keep prices down. I am tempted to make them pay 1st class instead.

spicemonster Sun 06-Sep-09 19:28:27

I have sold on ebay for the first time recently and sold 4 things and frankly, I don't think I'll ever do it again. I sold a really expensive changing bag to a bloke who made a huge fuss about it being stained so I said if he sent it back, I'd send him a refund. It finally has been returned, about a month after his initial complaint and it is a lot more stained than it was when I sent it. So I think he used it on holiday or something and then returned it. angry

And someone asked me to reduce the postage, even though I'd charged the princely sum of 50p more than the Post Office were charging me to package it up and take it to the Post Office.

Really really not worth it

piscesmoon Sun 06-Sep-09 19:36:20

I think it is far more geared up to people running businesses than people like me who are having a clear out. I don't accept returns because I am quite honest about what I am selling, e.g. if a box is torn at the corner I say so. I put my postage to allow for packaging. A padded envelope can cost up to £1-I don't think that buyers take into account that you need sellotape, paper, a special trip to the post office etc as well as the actual stamp.

southeastastra Sun 06-Sep-09 19:36:58

i think they are trying to get rid of smaller sellers, for some unknown reason.

is impossible to speak to a person in real time. e-mails just give stock answers.

sad really.

piscesmoon Sun 06-Sep-09 22:28:58

I think you are right about the smaller sellers-unfortunately they ae the ones I want to buy from.

eleanorrubysmummy Thu 10-Sep-09 19:19:39

I've been buying from eBay for 6 yrs, selling for 4 and these last few months have been awful...both directions!! Weird complaints about items, the best one being the "tiered skirt has all ruffles on it"!!! The customer services number & service is hopeless too...they can't really be bothered.
Then last week, after the seller agreeing combined postage, I ended up paying nearly £8 for two tops!! £8!! Ebay said go to police with emails...can u imagine that???

LastTrainToNowhere Thu 10-Sep-09 19:36:25

I agree that ebay seems to be turfing out the small sellers. I listed 4 of dd's outgrown dresses, all in as new condition, and have got negative feedback on 3 of them! One claims the dress never reached him, one gave me a neg because the dress took two weeks to reach (I posted it the next day, what more could I do?). The icing on the cake was the buyer who gave me a negative because the dress didn't suit her dd {shock] [anger] What exactly is my fault in that?? Did you not check the photograph you blind bat?

I tried e-mailing ebay but haven't got anywhere with them. Sincerely not worth the hassle. From now on, I'm lugging outgrown toys and clothes to the charity shops.

PinkTulips Thu 10-Sep-09 19:46:23

have given up... i was spending more in fees than i was earning from selling my bits and the panic i lived in everytime i did sell something until i got +ive feedback wasn't worth the pittance i earned.

one twat didn't pay and when well over the 7 days i'd specified i emailed to ask why he hadn't payed he claimed; 'i though the item was new as i hadn't read the description'. I told him 'well tough, it was listed as what it was and you bought it, pay up' and he simply refused but when i lodged a seller non payment complaint nothing was done at all, it just disappeared into the ether.

I'm selling on smaller forums from now on!

cariboo Thu 10-Sep-09 19:57:57

I have only bought & when a Jigsaw dress I ordered turned up with 2 tiny moth holes in it, I didn't even complain! I'm an ebay saintgrin. I give good ratings, even if not entirely satisfied, but do complain in private to seller.

Have never sold as am worried about shipping.

World is full of crackpots, anyway!

Tryharder Fri 11-Sep-09 18:26:45

Have had two buyers recently contact me (by phone) and say something like this:

Buyer: This item has a problem *lists a petty/ridiculous clearly made-up non-existant fault*

Me: Sorry to hear that, please return it to me and I'll give you a full refund

Buyer: Oh, er... well, actually, would you consider giving me a partial refund instead?

hmm angry

They are just trying it on. Sadly, they have the sellers by the short and curlies because of the ever present threat of negative feedback. You have to admire their cheek really...

ScaredOfCows Fri 11-Sep-09 19:00:29

Another one here with a weirdos buyers just lately. A glut of items going missing too, 6 items missing in August. I am sure they are trying it on as previously I might only have had 1 or 2 lost in post items per year. Seriously thinking of insisting everything is posted by 'signed for' post, but then I suppose they will say the postage charge is too much.

Saltire Fri 11-Sep-09 19:14:07

I always post everything by recorded and check the signature as well to amke sure its been posted

Tryharder Fri 11-Sep-09 20:11:12

If I sell anything for a decent price, always post recorded even if I lose money on the p&p. Don't bother if 99p.

IcingOnTheCake Sat 12-Sep-09 21:38:05

I have been selling off some of dd clothes this week, you know, small bundles, small prices. I just had a complaint from one of the buyers saying she is dissappointed in two of the items of clothing because they have some light stains on them and wants to return or a part refund.

The items looked fine to me and were described as used. I don't mind complaints but i don't get why you would complain/ask for a refund when you have paid so little for alot of clothing. I mean one of the cardigans in that bundle was a lovely next one which cost more than double what she paid for the whole lot?

If it were me i would expect a couple of "ok" items but accept i paid a small price for them.

mumofdjandbabies Sat 12-Sep-09 22:30:41

yes!

mel1981 Mon 14-Sep-09 21:46:49

Ive been selling loads on ebay recently cause I really need the money and dont have time to do a carbbot sale, but im just waiting to be ripped off or have a complaint about something petty...im suprised ive got this far without anything lately from the stories ive heard.
I also havent got full marks for postage costs or delivery time- even though I only add 30p for Packing, have refunded if I did overcharge and have at times undercharged. And I state I send items within 3 days of payment clearing but they are usually sent before that.
I think theres just no pleasing some people!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now