Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is it wierd that when selling a big item that has to be cllected seller insisting on paypal payment?

(10 Posts)
MeeMeeMee Fri 21-Aug-09 20:01:51

Why on earth would they not accept cash on collection?

forkhandles Fri 21-Aug-09 20:04:10

I've never come across that before, you'd think they would like to save on the charges. But at least you'll be protected through paypal

southeastastra Fri 21-Aug-09 20:06:07

could be lots of things, perhaps they want to buy something with paypal

JeMeSouviens Fri 21-Aug-09 20:10:57

Probably if you've paid for it already you're more likely to pick it up, than someone who will pay on collection.

CloudDragon Fri 21-Aug-09 20:12:40

not that weird, alot of people try and haggle on the doorstep, also there have been a couple of incidents of people doing runners with stuff.

we considered it when we sold our van.

5inthebed Fri 21-Aug-09 20:12:53

Some people prefer cash in their paypal for future purchases they might make. No harm in you paying by paypal, you're covered for it anyway.

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Fri 21-Aug-09 20:15:27

It is naive of them since they will have no proof of collection - I'd warn them against it tbh.

woodenchair Fri 21-Aug-09 20:15:38

When my db recently sold his car on ebay he insisted on paypal or bankers draft as he eas worried about getting a load of fake £50s

slartibartfast Fri 21-Aug-09 20:33:11

If it's BIG and needs collecting, seller may like some money for it - but also wants the space the thing will leave behind. So a purchaser who says they will collect it, then just fails to turn up, is rather less luse than the proverbial chocolate fireguard. Nor is the 'this is a contract to buy' stuff on the site much use: if they don't turn up, there's no comeback.

Ponders Fri 21-Aug-09 20:39:29

...leading to those "re-advertised due to timewasters" items.

If someone never turns up, the seller can't even give them neg feedback any more, can they? With paypal at least you've got the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now