Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Oh bum. Harrassing seller to do a BIN may have backfired!!!

(21 Posts)
FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:28:01

I saw a beautiful thing on ebay last night, from the States, really REALLY wanted it - so messaged seller asking if she was going to relist it, as it was in finished listings. Didn't hear back for a few minutes (!) so messaged again offering an amount, then waited, then lastly decided to message AGAIN saying scrap my offer, name your price. (really wanted it!!!)

Anyway...got a reply eventually, after about an hour, saying she had already relisted it with fault mentioned...but it had had bids when she stopped the listing, she just wanted to revise it. She was nice and said she's consider my offer if nobody bid.

Then I realised it was actually more valuable than I'd assumed, and that it's likely to go higher than I can afford - so, went to bed, gave up on it really.

Then this morning find she had answered ALL my OTHER messages thinking I was continuing to harrass her AFTER this conversation blush when actually it was before she'd even replied blush Oh I am SO embarrassed, she must think I am rude as heck and a complete LOONY!!!

I've replied saying I'm so sorry and that all the messages were sent BEFORE she answered the first one, not after...she'll still be asleep for sure, so I am in that terrible 'Oh shit' phase thinking she thinks I am really odd.

Worst thing is she said she might sell it me at my price if no one had bid yet - and no one has!!!

I'm like grin about that and like shock about my faux pas with all the messages.

Also like sad that someone probably WILL bid before she gets up, and/or offer her way more than I did. I can't afford this thing, if it goes to bid - I have a feeling it'll go ballistic.

Has anyone else done stupid things like this? Or is it just me?

Mamazon Wed 12-Aug-09 09:32:08

i wouldn't worry.
Im sure she will understand and she is glad that someone really wants the item.

and if no one bid last time you stand a good chance this time.

good luck.

(what is it btw?)

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Aug-09 09:32:29

<nosily wondering what it is>

but lol grin

listenglisten Wed 12-Aug-09 09:35:17

Don't worry, you will never meet her grin

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:35:36

Oh dear

well she was lovely, sounded patient but a bit hmm like 'Please let me give it a chance before I accept your offer' bla bla.

I am so blush
It's an old doll btw...very very old doll. I have a few, do repairs, that kind of thing.

This is a superbly beautiful one. No idea what it is but it looks expensive and she ahd a lot of interest - it has very slight damage, and people won't care too much about that I don't think - we may be looking at thousands, depending what it is.

I was offering hundreds (not mine - overdraft - very reckless!!! and selling a couple of others to pay for it!)

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 09:36:04

I think perhaps you're overthinking this . As long as your messages weren't saying "Oi, bitch, sell me your item NOW" then the only thing she will think is that you are very very keen. And/or a bit dim.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:37:29

LOL, a bit dim is about right grin

I'm so nervous that she might not offer me it - or might then change her mind - or I might be doing her out of what it's really worth - but then, I don't want it to sell. I just love it.

Any idea what children are going for these days?

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 09:38:25

I love old dolls. I have one from 1923 that my mother inherited from her aunt - she's called Wendy (the doll), and sits on the front window sill looking out longingly at the world. DD dropped her when she was 5ish and now Wendy has a small hole in her forehead - I could barely be civil to DD for weeks afterwards.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:38:38

I was in one of those 'OH my Goodlord I need to have this item' moods last night. I'm sure it's a displacement activity. I'm also fairly sure it won't go to plan, it never does when something means that much. It is subconscious sabotage isn't it.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:38:39

I was in one of those 'OH my Goodlord I need to have this item' moods last night. I'm sure it's a displacement activity. I'm also fairly sure it won't go to plan, it never does when something means that much. It is subconscious sabotage isn't it.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:39:13

Oh Hassled sad

What mark does Wendy have? Do you know her maker?

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 09:42:02

On the back of her china head it says S, then PB (inside a star) and then H. Then 1923 underneath that. For some reason (family lore) I think she's German. Her face is actually in a hell of a state now.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Aug-09 09:44:56

I love it when you see something on ebay you have to have - last week for my birthday I got a 1909 Art Nouveau highly decorated solid silver brush set for £38.

Took hours of cleaning and the mirror is in to be replaced but it's so indescribably beautiful.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:45:36

Oh she's a Schoenau & Hoffmeister. smile They can be lovely. I specially like the 1923. She's a less common mould.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:47:48

Sorry was struggling with phone just then! Ds2 wants to talk to whoever is on the other end...information lines, whatever...hmm

Yes she's German. Made at Porzellanfabrik Burggrub, roundabout 1910. They made a 1909, 1906, 1914 as well - but not actually chronologically...!

Very pretty dolls. how big is she?

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 09:47:50

Thank you . Four generations have played with her - I guess it's no wonder she's in a state.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:49:29

That's what dolls are for smile

I dislike the 'keep it in a box' brigade...most of mine have some damage, but are still beautiful iyswim. A bit of history and love never hurt a real doll. wink

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:50:01

Laurie, that sounds gorgeous.

Sometimes you just, well, ykwim!

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 09:51:07

X post - if she could stand up, she'd come to mid-thigh (I'm 5.3). How precise is that ?

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:54:39

Sounds pretty big! I love the bigger ones.

Hassled...take care of her. Obviously with a bashed head she's not going to be worth masses, but the historical value of a doll that's been in a family for generations, is fabulous.

When I started out I had a kind of mission, wanted to get all the old parts and broken bits and put them together into whole dollies again...there are millions all over the world...I just love the way they tell a story. The more bashed the better, in a way.

Hassled Wed 12-Aug-09 10:11:05

Flight - many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now