Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Have I done something wrong with this listing?

(30 Posts)
stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 14:13:02

I am sellig some really nice Timberland toddler shirts. I put a low price on them as expected it to get bid up anyway - about £20. Have a day to go and no bids - starts at 0.99 and there is no way they are being sold for that so thinking of ending listing. However it has only had 3 views in a week! I think I may have done something wrong with the listing - here is the item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150363351691&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Have I listed in wrong category? or not put particular search term in - can anyone help so don't make same mistake again? Thanks

Sputnik Sat 08-Aug-09 14:25:18

First of all I think ebay is really quiet at the moment because of summer holidays.

Second children's clothes don't really go for much, I don't know about Timberland stuff specifically but I would think it had to be something really special to go for £20, especially used. Have you searched completed listing to see what similar things have gone for?

I have sold a few children's clothes recently and started everything at 99p. The listing is free if you do that and you have to trust people will find it and bid up. Sometimes they go for 99p but if you look on the whole thing as a clearing out/recycling operation then that's ok.

WriggleJiggle Sat 08-Aug-09 14:27:10

Are you sure that is the correct link? It shows some shorts at £4.99, not 99p.

Eitherway, I've just tried finding them searching for 18-24months & shorts & Timberland, and they appear, so I don't think there is anything wrong with your listing. None of the other Timberland things seem to be selling either.

WriggleJiggle Sat 08-Aug-09 14:28:28

Are yours the blue ones or the white ones? The blue ones state2-3yrs in the listing, but are in the 18-24 month section.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Sat 08-Aug-09 14:28:28

that link is for shorts

noone would pay £20 for a pair of toddler shorts on ebay
no chance

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 14:33:55

You'd be surprised - have sold stuff for this much in the past.

You are right I listed at £4.99 - makes me happier that they wont go for a £1. They cost a fortune ans are immaculate. Was thinking about waiting until after August to list but as they are shorts thought I would have more chance selling now.

Big picture though although no bids (not worried about this) the fact that only 3 views is just as it is quiet on ebay not because I have done something wrong with the listing. Is that right? Thanks

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 14:34:48

and you are right it is shorts not shirt - I can't type either!

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 14:35:26

and thanks for all the replies too.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Sat 08-Aug-09 14:41:45

I would say that the only 3 views bit definitely means its a slow day on ebay.

Just as an aside, How much did they cost new??

Cause second hand is roughly half what they were new.

Mind I wouldn't spend £20 on a pair of shorts even new

even for me, let alone little ones grin

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 14:46:57

I thought the 3 views were at all - not just today- they have been listed for a week. Or am I wrong?

Sputnik Sat 08-Aug-09 14:57:13

3 is the total for the week. If you're happy to put them away for a year then end the listing and try again next spring. I did this recently. But with 3 views I doubt you'll even be offered your starting price tbh.

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 15:33:16

yes I know - can't understand how there has been so little views. For that money may as well let him trash them at nursery as could n't buy much in mothercare for that £. Thanks all.

lou031205 Sat 08-Aug-09 15:42:48

It's not on to end a listing because it isn't going your way!

Tortoise Sat 08-Aug-09 15:56:02

They may suddenly get bids in the last few minutes anyway.
Guess MN was a good way to get some people looking though!

WriggleJiggle Sat 08-Aug-09 17:18:47

I would be very suprised at anyone spennding £20 on a pair of shorts, nevermind being second hand and for a 18 month old.

If you are expecting to get £20 for them, can I be nosey and ask how much they were new?

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 20:40:01

Can I just say I did n't ask this on MN to drum up interest. It was a serious question as I could not figure out how comes there had been so few views onthe item.

Canlt recll how much they cost but at least just under the £30 mark if not significantly more. I never said that I thought they woudl definitely get that amount just that stuff like this I have sold in the past has gone for this amount - never in my wildest thoughts did I think that I should increase the lowest bid level on the basis it might go for the minimum amount.

TheChilliMooseisReading Sat 08-Aug-09 20:49:51

I find that starting things at 99p means that more people are interested and the item often goes for more in the end. It's not fair on the bidder to end it early because the price hasn't reached the amount you would like it to.
And, tbh, I think your expectations are very high. The items may well be Timberland, but it is still second hand children's clothing.

Sputnik Sat 08-Aug-09 21:03:18

I don't see the problem in ending earlier if there are no bidders and no interest.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Sat 08-Aug-09 21:09:58

'just under £30 if not significantly more'

seriously

wheres your money tree

even if you are a millionaire, thats just silly

islandofsodor Sat 08-Aug-09 21:17:47

I wouldn;t even bother to click on that listing if I was browing ebay for toddler shorts. Regardless of the brand I would not expect to pay more than a couple of pounds for a pair of shorts.

I think the starting price is too high coupled with the summer being quiet.

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 21:27:19

wheres your money tree

even if you are a millionaire, thats just silly

??????

What do you mean. Loads of people spend much more then that on kids clothes - I often get bought or buy designer stuff for my kids (birthdays/Xmas etc) as gifts and it costs way more then that. I mean a bog standard no added sugar top costs £22 and that is just a non designer top. Maybe I am on a different planet (probably am grin) Kids go to nursery in cheap clean stuff even hand ons as it gets wrecked within 10 minutes but I do like them to look nice when we see people/ go out etc.

I agree starting price may have been too high. Have one bid now but I really did think it was going to sell for more. Still at least it will sell now.

And I know I did n't mess the listing itself up which I thought I had done. Thanks all.

msled Sat 08-Aug-09 21:30:45

It's too late to buy shorts. I'm thinking about autumn now.

stressed2007 Sat 08-Aug-09 21:38:16

Agreed generally - however if you are off on hols there is nothing summery left to buy so there is always interest in this stuff - sold some summer girls clothes last week so someone is interested. I, like you, am looking at what coats to get kids for the next season.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Sun 09-Aug-09 08:38:25

'Kids go to nursery in cheap clean stuff even hand ons as it gets wrecked within 10 minutes but I do like them to look nice when we see people/ go out etc'

so does that mean that my children never look nice when they go out?

....'even hand ons' as if that is so terrible

£22 for a t shirt

definitely another planet, without a doubt

stressed2007 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:50:53

????? have you got out of bed the wrong side?

I have made no comment on your children and what you do with them - I am talking about how I dress mine.

strange.

Thanks to all who made constructive comments on the listing - much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now