Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ooh just won something for £1.43, worth about 1,000 times that...hypothetically...

(8 Posts)
FlightHattendant Fri 07-Aug-09 13:53:45

...does the seller have to sell it to me at that price?

It's an antique item, listed a few minutes ago with an obvious typographical error - unless she has gone bonkers.

I've bought from this seller before, and emailed to say I wanted to rpevent some random person buying it for £2 and making trouble for her. So it's just a fantasy, really, a 'what if'...but would she have to sell me it, if I made a big fuss?

smile

<enjoys 'owning' something valuable briefly before it all gets sorted out>

ScaredOfCows Fri 07-Aug-09 14:00:31

No, she wouldn't. She can cancel the transaction. Be nice if she did though ....

FlightHattendant Fri 07-Aug-09 14:05:40

She can cancel it? Really? I thought that was only if I agreed.

I know ebay would do jack s. if she refused to complete, but I was thinking more court papers, that kind of approach winkgrin

poopscoop Fri 07-Aug-09 14:07:58

how exciting. what was said item? can you say?

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 07-Aug-09 14:21:31

That is kind of you. Maybe she will give you first refusal.

What is it? Is it gorgeous?

FlightHattendant Fri 07-Aug-09 15:28:37

Oh it is an early porcelain doll...we are not talking Franklin Mint here wink

She has had it up before, relisted as it didn't sell and the price looks like it was supposed to be $2,400...instead she put it at 2 dollars 40c shock

Beautiful and gorgeous but I couldn't afford it even at half the price!! The one I had from her before was years ago and much cheaper, less rare iyswim...ho hum!

Not heard back from her yet, am a little bit like this hmm

ScaredOfCows Fri 07-Aug-09 19:02:23

If she cancels the transaction, she will have to provide ebay with a reason. These are things like - the item was damaged, sold out of item, buyer changed their mind, or (that old cop-out) 'other reasons'. Ebay will then contact you and ask if you agree to cancel the transaction. I'm not quite sure what happens if you say no, but I am sure that she won't be legally obliged to sell it.

But good luck and I hope she does let you have it.

FlightHattendant Fri 07-Aug-09 21:11:49

Thankyou...I don't think they can do anything about it if she won't. (hypothetically!)
I could open a paypal case but all she'd get is some restrictions on her selling account, stuff like that.

Which is heartening really as I'd hate to think if I made a mistake like that, they'd throw the book at me. Profiting from someone's mistake is one of those things I wouldn't want to be responsible for! smile

hopefully she really has gone bananas and wants to sell everything she owns for pennies. Unlikely grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now