Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

£5.30 postage...surely that's not right???

(37 Posts)
elle23 Sat 01-Aug-09 18:51:19

I bid on (and won) two items from the same seller. One was a top for a 2 year old and the other was a pair of jeans for an 18-24mth old...The invoice I received stated that items would be sent together, but postage seems extortionate to me, am I being a cheapskate??
Another auction I won was a bundle of clothes (7 items) and postage for that was only £4!!

Is it wrong for me to expect the seller to combine postage? Or is it really ok for seller to just add the two postage costs together, even though items will be sent together??

expatinscotland Sat 01-Aug-09 18:53:22

You knew what the postage was when you bid on the items. Why are you expecting anything other than what you saw as the price?

You knew the price, you bid, you won. Now your obligation is to pay up.

Yes, it's wrong for you to expect the seller to combine postage for you.

Next time, if you don't like the postage costs, don't bid.

Tortoise Sat 01-Aug-09 18:55:34

I believe there isn't a rule about combining postage but most sellers offer it.

I would email the seller and ask if they would combine postage or offer a postage discount because you bought two items from them.

paisleyleaf Sat 01-Aug-09 18:55:58

Perhaps they get a taxi to the post office.

Tidey Sat 01-Aug-09 18:56:14

If it were me selling, I would combine postage and give a discount. If they've told you they're sending both items together, they should (just to be polite) combine postage. However, I doubt there's any way to make them do it. Have you sent them a message asking about it?

Tortoise Sat 01-Aug-09 18:59:22

That's quite harsh Expat. I don't think it is wrong to expect postage to be combined when it would be less than if they were sent seperatly.

SNOWBall4girlz Sat 01-Aug-09 19:00:41

You should really ask before you bid.

You do not know how / if overcharged you have been until your item turns up.
Then you can give the appropate star when you give feedback.
I have just refunded some postage after an item was cheaper to post than I thought.
I always add the postage to the price of an item I want and then decide if it is worth it for the total cost.
Have you asked them to combine ?

expatinscotland Sat 01-Aug-09 19:02:13

Tortoise, the seller may not have even yet twigged that one person won the two items.

Tidey Sat 01-Aug-09 19:03:52

I think they have, expat, if they've already told her the items are being sent together.

Tortoise Sat 01-Aug-09 19:04:43

Expat OP said that the invoice the seller sent stated that both items would be sent together.

boogiewoogie Sat 01-Aug-09 19:06:08

Part of me agrees with the op about combining postage although that should have been clarified with the seller anyway.

It does annoy me though when sellers charge more for postage than what the item's worth to make a profit. It should be the other way round, put the starting price up and charge fair postage. I saw an item that was similar to one that I sold a while back that charged £6 postage. It cost me £2.67 first class recorded. The same seller was charging £6 smaller items as well and it's no wonder why no one bids!

DitaVonCheese Sat 01-Aug-09 19:06:23

Ask but if not then you'll know to ask first next time (though I think it's against ebay rules to take the piss re postage isn't it?).

Overcharging postage, especially on baby stuff, really pisses me off - just don't bother to bid any more.

LynetteScavo Sat 01-Aug-09 19:24:26

I'm with expat.

I recently had a buyer ask me what the postage would be for combined items, so I did combine postage, but recently haven't offered combined postage - partly becuase I keep my P&P rates very low, and always start at 99p, so could potentially be draging my butt to the PO for peanuts pennies.

sixlostmonkeys Sat 01-Aug-09 19:27:02

you should always ask about combined postage prior to bidding. Never assume anything.
The seller isn't obliged to reduce the postage.
I would contact the seller and ask what the postage discount will be as she is sending them in a combined parcel. If the seller says there will be no discount then ask for 2 separate invoices and pay each separately. Also ask that they be sent in separate parcels.

elle23 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:33:20

I would have asked before bidding but there was only a few minutes left on each auction and to be honest I didn't notice it was the same seller...I have now asked about combined postage but apparently it's not possible to do that now as an invoice has already been sent to me and the amount cannot be changed....really?

Tortoise Sat 01-Aug-09 21:35:03

Not true! An invoice can be changed. I have sent am invoice before with an error on the postage amount and sent a revised one.

elle23 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:42:21

Oh ok, thanks, well I will ask again. Not sure what to do if seller refuses to combine postage, I suppose I'll just have to pay it and chalk this one up as experience...

Tortoise Sat 01-Aug-09 21:53:09

Yes you will just have to pay it. Hope the clothes were a good price to make up for postage. smile

DitaVonCheese Sat 01-Aug-09 21:55:14

Yep, it's balls that an invoice can't be changed. I agree with whoever said to request two parcels

elle23 Sun 02-Aug-09 08:16:14

Ok, seller says she will "have a go" at editing postage amount on invoice...not sure why she doesn't know how to do this with almost 400 reviews...but she's asking me what I think is a reasonable amount for postage! Any ideas??? Would really appreciate the help! grin

sixlostmonkeys Sun 02-Aug-09 08:45:26

tell her to weigh the combined parcel and look up the postage on the royal mail website. then she can add 50p for packaging. she will then have the correct p&p

mrsmerryweather Sun 02-Aug-09 09:09:07

But your post says that the invoice said postage would be combined.

You simply need to email the seller and ask the question- no point ranting on MN- query it with the seller.

mrsmerryweather Sun 02-Aug-09 09:11:33

Fair p&p? The weight of the items, plus packaging- might be £1 for a large jiffy bag, and then don't forget that most people include Ebay fees in with postage, and the time it takes to go the PO- maybe a car drive and parking charges.

If the items arelight, I'd say around £2.50 was reasonable.

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 10:17:57

Fair postage imo is the cost of the bloody postage, not time, fees, parking etc.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 02-Aug-09 10:52:10

it is against ebay rules to include the fees.
You are allowed to charge a small amount to cover cost of packaging and handling. To charge for bus fares, parking etc is unfair to buyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now