Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

defrauded through paypal - help!

(26 Posts)
LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 13:53:45

Message withdrawn

mustsleep Thu 30-Jul-09 13:57:59

maybe paypal has limited his account to stop him from withdrawing all the funds iykwim

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 14:02:15

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 14:03:42

Message withdrawn

mustsleep Thu 30-Jul-09 14:10:01

how did you pay through paypal? could you claim on your credit/debit card at all?

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 30-Jul-09 14:21:43

Right, so the funds were transferred from your paypal account to his? There will be a record of this and they will be able to trace it.

I don't see how you could have foreseen it as a scam?

It doesn't make sense that unless the money is still in his account, that you will be able to recover it? Isn't this the point of having a fraud department?

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 15:27:27

Message withdrawn

eandh Thu 30-Jul-09 15:36:06

Doesnt matter if he has removed his money if they find it in your favour they will debit his balance so in thoery will be overdrawn on his paypal if he leaves his balance ivcerdrawn they can sell that debt on to a debt agency

I had someone file a dispute on me after I had taken funds from paypal and transferred them to my bank accoutn (they filed dispute 3 weeks after they received item hmm) paypal made my paypal balance £-£119 eventually I won the dispute as the person never sent the item back so they recredited my account and it went back to £0 but if teh otehr person had won I would have had to transfer funds from my bank back into my paypal account to ensure balance was £0 or over

eandh Thu 30-Jul-09 15:36:47

apologies for typos dd2 throwing a huge paddy next to me

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 15:44:59

Message withdrawn

eandh Thu 30-Jul-09 16:06:46

Yep you would get all your money back and then paypal would chase him for outstanding balance as he would be in debt to paypal not you

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 17:03:40

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:36

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 04-Aug-09 19:37:22

Message withdrawn

missmelly Thu 06-Aug-09 14:58:31

god stay away from Gumtree it's full of bloody fraudsters

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 07-Aug-09 17:36:59

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Fri 07-Aug-09 17:43:54

He confessed to being a fraudster? Amazing!

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 07-Aug-09 17:46:12

Message withdrawn

Ria79 Fri 07-Aug-09 21:37:42

I'd take it straight to the police and say "read this".
Seriously!!!

FlightHattendant Fri 07-Aug-09 22:02:00

I think if you use paypal within ebay, you're covered whatever - outside of ebay you only get what they can recover, but I'd say it soudns fairly hopeful if hew as already having trouble with his account before you paid.

I hope you get it all back. Don't get further involved, it could be v unsafe for you if the types he deals with get your details iyswim? Well I'd stay out if it was me but then I am a bit of a nervous type.

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 08-Aug-09 10:24:23

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 10-Aug-09 10:15:24

Message withdrawn

Ria79 Mon 10-Aug-09 11:21:39

Oh you are joking! angry

The same thing happened to me, bought buggy off Gumtree, paid via pp and got nothing!
(saw it readvertised a week later though!!)

Opened dispute and got £1.27 back from my £180 i'd paid!!!

Pp say that the minute money goes into her account they recover it and give it to me!

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to open another pp account though does it!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you get your money back soon, i'm still waiting - 6 months down the line sad but if you get everyone involved and create enough fuss you may be lucky!

Good luck smile

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 10-Aug-09 14:09:47

Message withdrawn

Ria79 Mon 10-Aug-09 14:33:25

Would of thought so, wont that help with the debit / credit card chargeback? Have you let paypal know?

Where's paypals payment protection is what i'd like to know!!!

They say it's the safest way to pay, they holding funds of as little as £2 from things i'm selling on ebay until i get pos FB for them so what the hell are they playing at???
AGGGGHHH RANT !!!

Maybe look further into payment protect issues on the website and get some ammo to fire at them! Afterall, they charge enough for their services!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now