Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

what do I do now, item is much worse condition than described.

(35 Posts)
ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 11:26:07

I bought a ds for my dd, to put away for xmas.

it's here

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200364759901&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3 F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D200364759901%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi% 3D1&_rdc=1

ok.

The actual item is really grubby. with crumbs, bits all under the edges/round the sides. There is a scratch on the screen, and another bit of plastic (apart for the hinge bit as shown) is cracked.

I emailed the seller saying the above and asked for a refund.

The reply is this

'Item was decribed as good working condition, and the photo showed the ds clearly. therefore i will not be giving a refund.'

So I replied

'yes, it does work, but the photo does not show the things I have pointed out, and they weren't desribed in the description.'

no reply so far.

I'm fucked aren't i. Like i really had that money to spare. What can I do now. sad

Tidey Tue 28-Jul-09 11:29:07

Wait and see if they reply, then contact eBay and see what they say. If they won't refund you, you can open a PayPal 'item significantly not as described' claim.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 11:30:51

Well, good working condition mean it works well, she has made no comment about the condition of the plastic or screens at all, except to point out the hinge.

Why do you feel it is a waste of money? It will clean up. How bad is the scratch? Does it make it unusable?

In any case, if you bought through paypal you will most likely get a full refund if you open a dispute, regardless of wether you are entitled to one or not!

hocuspontas Tue 28-Jul-09 11:39:49

Nothing to do with op's problem but I looked at this seller's feedback. It says 100% but on the detailed feedback screen it qualifies this with being 100% for the last 12 months. Previous to that he had a neg and a neutral. No biggie in the wider scheme of things but misleading don't you think? I thought that 100% feedback meant from transactions since registration not just from the past year.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 11:41:20

No, it is in the last 12 months - on the basis that people may make a mess of things in the beginning and then improve IYSWIM

Tidey Tue 28-Jul-09 11:42:02

My feedback is 100% but I had a negative very soon after I joined. Since the rules on feedback changed, negatives given before a certain date don't seem to count anymore.

ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 11:44:01

ok, will see if seller replies to that email.

Do I make my complaint to ebay? Or is is to paypal.

sorry, am realy fed up. I could clear up the plasitc a bit, but its all the sweaty gunge under the edges that won't come away.

The scratch doesn't make it not work, no, but it wasn't mentioned, neither was the other plastic crack.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 11:46:15

Well, I would go straight to paypal myself but I am not sure if this is the right protocol!

kormachameleon Tue 28-Jul-09 11:49:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 11:50:13

i'll give it till the end of today for an answer. if not shall i email seller again, and say I will be doing a dispute, to see if that makes any difference to what they have to say?

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 11:52:22

Would you accept a discount on the price rather than the whole refund and return bit?

ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 11:56:22

I don't think so, becuase it isn't good enough to give as a gift. sad

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 11:58:25

That is a shame, in that case go with your plan above.

hocuspontas Tue 28-Jul-09 12:00:24

Good idea about emailing warning about a dispute. I think paypal expect you to have made contact and attempted to sort things. Although the seller warned about the hinge he/she was economical with the truth about the rest of the item. I'm surprised that someone wouldn't clean the thing first though. Yuk!

ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 12:03:17

but if i warn of a dispute, can they not de register and not be found.

i don't know enough about the info held on people if they decide to do that.

I was accepting totally of the hinge thing. Thats the best bit of it afai can see.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 28-Jul-09 12:41:27

TBH I doubt they would, they have quite a large selling history so they would need to start again from the beginning etc.

lara27 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:02:58

as far as I'm aware paypal holds bank/credit card details so they can usually process a refund even if the seller de-registers from ebay. Have you taken photos of the damage/dirt to send to the seller to show them how bad it is?

ipiratethief Tue 28-Jul-09 14:10:11

I will do, thanks.

ipiratethief Fri 31-Jul-09 08:13:45

I can't believe it, Paypal have just been in touch, and have agreed to a refund!! So relieved.

KingCanuteIAm Fri 31-Jul-09 08:18:46

Paypal almost always refund, they are great if you are a buyer! smile

Hope you manage to get something that fits the bill - it is very frustrsting and upsetting when you don't get what you expect!

ipiratethief Fri 31-Jul-09 11:38:00

Thanks!!

i was expecting a drawn out 3 way dispute, can't believe it. Its saved me so much!!

Lovesdogsandcats Fri 31-Jul-09 11:58:59

Message withdrawn

Lovesdogsandcats Fri 31-Jul-09 12:05:04

OOps just seen your last post. Oh well you may get a refund and not have to post item back - in which case, off to Gamestation wink

3cutedarlings Fri 31-Jul-09 12:12:12

ipirate, make sure you send it back recorded delivery, you dont want the seller claiming that they never received it back.

sounds like a bargain dogsandcat

SparklyGothKat Fri 31-Jul-09 12:17:19

Does that really work LDAC? My DS is broken and it get it repaired would cost more than I paid.. I'm going to Gamestation if thats the case

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now