Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

I'm suspicious of this second chance offer. . . .

(12 Posts)
YanknCock Mon 27-Jul-09 00:07:09

I put the first bid on a nappy stacker, new with tags, and up until about 2 hours before the auction ended, there were no other bids (starting was 99p). Then I was outbid by a second person. I bid up to £4.35 and was still being outbid, so decided to give up.

The auction ended at 21:09 and only an hour later the seller emailed a second chance offer, saying only 'If you'd still like to go ahead, then please let me know and I'd be happy to send it out as soon as I receive payment.'

Now I've sold a fair bit on ebay, and any time I've given a second chance offer, I've explained why (usually the winner didn't pay up within a week, or misread the ad and lived too far away to collect). And it took at least a day or so for me to make the second chance offer.

I know there are some sellers out there who, if their item is selling quite low, get someone else to put a bigger bid on it in an attempt to get the 1st bidder to bid more. This is NOT something I do, but found someone at my work was getting her friends to bid on her auctions to bump up the price.

Given that this second chance offer came through so quickly, with no explanation as to why the original winner wasn't taking the item, would you be suspicious?

SoccerMum Mon 27-Jul-09 00:09:24

I would be a bit wary TBH, whats the feedback like?

PS..someone just posted on another thread that they missed you!

YanknCock Mon 27-Jul-09 00:24:33

The feedback is 100% with 105 ratings. Perhaps I'm just paranoid?

(Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise I'd been named!)

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Mon 27-Jul-09 00:38:29

They might have more than one available, or may have cancelled the winning bid.

Pingpong Mon 27-Jul-09 09:21:58

Yes they might have a duplicate or the winning bidder might have withdrawn.
I think you are being over suspicious. If you were prepared to pay £x in the auction I don't see why you aren't prepared to pay that now?

lynniep Mon 27-Jul-09 16:19:01

I'd be wary in this situation of course - its entirely possible they were schill bidding (thats what its called isnt it? when they use another ID to raise the price)

However

does it matter? With 100% feedback they are obviously OK. If you want it, why not just accept.

Its happened to me too when I bought a car (thats the largest amount by far I've EVER bid for ANYTHING!)

I wasnt convinced they hadnt raised it themselves BUT I was happy with the price I paid so we both got what we wanted.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 16:21:25

I'd think they had someone bumping up the price and were trying to pull a fast one!

ThreadsDeadBabyThreadsDead Mon 27-Jul-09 16:25:08

I would think it was because they have more than one, and sell that way rather than multiple listings.

Provided you can pay by paypal I wouldn't be concerned if you still want the item.

LIZS Mon 27-Jul-09 16:26:07

does it matter , as long as you are still paying a price you were prepared to.

Tryharder Mon 27-Jul-09 19:39:51

Definitely shill bidding. Was also shocked to witness colleagues at work artifically bidding up each others items the other day....

I would ignore it on principle.

YanknCock Mon 27-Jul-09 22:39:58

Thing is, I don't want the item badly enough to encourage this type of behaviour! There are plenty of other nappy stackers out there to bid on, at lower prices. I've gone with my gut on this one and haven't responded to the offer (it has expired now anyway). Will be interested to see if she relists.

Pingpong Tue 28-Jul-09 08:11:57

tryharder how can you know it's definitely shill bidding ?
I am genuinely surprised at the high level of suspicion shown on this thread. Maybe it is the reason I get a low uptake on my second chance offers though.
Interesting!
YanknCock I'm sure she will relist and what would that prove anyway? That she wants to sell it????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now