Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling books on Ebay - or would I be better off somewhere else

(9 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Mon 20-Jul-09 13:45:36

I have an Ebay account but have only ever used it to buy stuff..

Now DC2 is on the way, I am desperate to declutter and make some space and could also do with some extra cash to pay for the P&T double buggy I want need grin

I have loads of books I'd like to sell but was wondering where the best place to put them was. Someone I know has suggested that Amazon is better than ebay for selling books.

I have no idea where to start with either of them having never sold anything online before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Iklboo Mon 20-Jul-09 13:47:33

Amazon's better - you can see how much other people are selling copies for and undercut price yours accordingly, plus they work out the P&P for you so there's no quibbles.
It's dead easy to set up an account on Amazon. Type in your book title - look at the right hand side for 'sell yours here' then fill in the details to set up an account

BakewellTarts Mon 20-Jul-09 14:12:00

I second Amazon. My first choice for selling books. They have fixed P&P so be careful as you can lose out if you sell expensive to post heavy hardbacks.

GoldenSnitch Mon 20-Jul-09 15:39:09

Do books just stay on Amazon till they're sold then?

I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of having stuff on there for months as there'll be a couple of months when baby arrives when selling things on Amazon will be the last thing on my mind...

Molesworth Mon 20-Jul-09 15:59:13

If I remember correctly, unsold items 'expire' after a certain length of time on Amazon.

I think the cut Amazon takes is probably higher than ebay's fees, but it really is a hassle-free way to sell books.

yappybluedog Mon 20-Jul-09 16:02:22

depends what kind of books

mass market paperbooks not worth selling on Amazon, unless you have 1000's

Molesworth Mon 20-Jul-09 16:03:25

true YBD - they tend to go for 1p so it's hardly worth bothering!

I find academic textbooks hold their price quite well (but not things that date quickly, like IT)

GoldenSnitch Mon 20-Jul-09 16:07:17

These will all be mass market paperbacks. Are they worth selling at all?

I do have some more obscure, older books on greek myths too...

yappybluedog Mon 20-Jul-09 16:10:36

search the title on Amazon and see what the lowest marketplace price is

if there are already numerous copies for 1p then don't bother

do you have a 2nd handbookshop near you? they sometimes take job-lots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now