Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Over charged for P&P????

(12 Posts)
kidcreoleandthecoconuts Fri 17-Jul-09 22:49:20

I have bought 2 items off ebay and was charged £7.45 for P&P ( it is international) and have now received the package to find that they have paid £1.82 on postage. I;m fuming. I've sent a nice email explaining how much I've paid and how much it ahs cost them....am I being unreasonable? That's way over the top isn't it. I was under the impression I was paying for a registered post and that was why it was expensive but not so !

Tryharder Sat 18-Jul-09 09:46:09

I would give the seller the chance to offer you a partial refund but if not, I would give neutral feedback or mention it in the feedback even if you give positive.

Some people really take the piss, don't they? I occasionally overestimate the postage cost but then sometimes underestimate but have never "made" more than £1 out of it which I know some sellers justify by petrol costs or time spent walking to the post office or whatever. I once paid £6 postage for something that costt £2 to send and I was pretty pissed off. I still gave positive feedback although in retrospective I should probably have said something.

muppetgirl Sat 18-Jul-09 09:50:39

Things is you accepted the deal with the high P&P cost. Yes it's annoying (and a rip off, I do agree) but you accepted it when you bid. Contact the seller by all means but don't be surprised when they don't refund you.

I now don't bid on anything if I consider the P&P charged too high however much I like the item.

Saltire Sat 18-Jul-09 09:50:43

For some reason I have only 3 stars for P&P charges yet never make anything on it - in fact, I'm usually underestimating the postage costs and am out of pocket.
I would give the seller the chance to partially refund you

nannynick Sat 18-Jul-09 10:01:13

At what point did you agree the P&P cost?
For example, was the P&P cost indicated before you even placed a bid? If so, then YABU as you knew the P&P cost prior to bidding.
P&P is not just postage. It includes other things such as packing material and TIME. It takes time to package up items, time to take them to a postoffice, time to try to get the person at the postoffice to understand what speed/method of delivery you want.
Yes, £7.45 does seem a bit high for P&P but that does not mean in my view that you are entitled to a refund of the difference between that and actual cost.
Certainly you can ask to negotiate a partial refund but don't be surprised if the seller isn't interested.

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sat 18-Jul-09 10:47:42

I have emailed the seller and she replied explaining that the cost was for 'signed for post and insurance' but that even if this was the case the postage was still a little high. She has refunded me £2.
The thing that bugs me is that I agreed to the high p&p because she would only send the parcel at a higher postal rate because of missing parcels. BUT I didnt sign for my parcel at all and no where on the parcel does it say that it is 'signed for' mail. I think she sent it normal international and made me pay for the higher service IYKWIM.
I wouldn't mind so much but she got a good price for the items I bought too.

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sat 18-Jul-09 10:51:51

nannynick....I understand that p&p isn't just for the postage, I sell on ebay as well as buy. I just dont think I should pay for a premium postal service when it wasnt used iykwim. £5 for packing, petrol and time is extortionate!

myjobismum Sat 18-Jul-09 11:33:11

I really feel for you, I had the opposite problem the other day - a buyer complaining to me for my P+P costs...... the situation was as follows.........

She bought one item for 99p - and £2.50 postage, the actual cost to send 1st class was £1.68 and the other 82p was for packaging, handling etc which I thought was fair! Anyway she went on to buy another item too with £1.95 postage - I kindly combined postage without her even asking, and sent both items (cost her 99p each so not exactly alot!) and £3.00 total postage - when I got to the post office, the double parcel still fell within the price bracket of £1.68 which suprised me! Anyway a few days later I get her emailing saying she was unhappy as I had overcharged her for P+P!!!!! I like to avoid conflict, but wanted to have my say too, so told her the truth, i.e. was £1.68 for postage, 80 odd pence for 'extras' which is acceotable and the just added 50 pence for second item! - she kicked up a stink and threatened negative feedback if I didn't refund her the 50p!!!!! I of course just refunded it.
Please tell me who was right/ wrong here and why did it happen, was I really out of order sad

You should definitely complain though - that is not in!

caykon Sat 18-Jul-09 12:49:26

On every package I send I make 50p for materials etc. Some parcels this costs me more others less, but overall I think it covers my costs. I feel this is a reasonable amount to add. People still however complain about this so I now print my postage on paypal where you dont have to display the postage value on the packet, nobody complains anymore, it works out well and they are still happy.
£6 handling is way too much
r

idunnop Sat 18-Jul-09 15:58:15

I also add 50p for packing. In fact I generally reuse packaging anyway and walk to the PO so the only thing I pay for is the parcel tape. I have really good p&p ratings from my buyers though (5.0 out of 5.0) so I guess everyone's happy with this. Your seller was definitely overcharging, which amounts to fee avoidance in ebay's eyes so is not on.

pagwatch Sat 18-Jul-09 16:26:35

I really just don't understand why people bid on things when they can see the postage is high? Just don't bid on it.
Not least because if people with substantial P&P charges didn't get any bids then they would stop doing it.

idunnop Sat 18-Jul-09 17:03:54

But sometimes you assume that is the price of the postage plus a reasonable mark-up, in which case you're willing to pay it - it's only when the item arrives that you realise you've been overcharged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now