Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

what happens if an item i bought just gets lost in the post?

(7 Posts)
meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 16-Jul-09 12:04:34

I've been wading through the myriad of 'help' topics on ebay and cant seem to get a simple answer.

I bought an item which I never received. I contacted the seller who said it was posted 2weeks ago 1st class - she has proof of posting and I have no reason to doubt it, but can ask for it.

It looks like it simply went missing in the post.

What can I do, if anything? I bought it on paypal and looked into claiming the money back but all i can find is stuff about opening a dispute and resolving issues with the seller, but clearly she sent it so what is there to dispute?

Thanks smile
Does this just mean I've lost my money? It's only about £5 thankfully but I could do without losing it.

Pingpong Thu 16-Jul-09 14:17:16

firstly you try and arrange for a refund from the buyer as the item has not arrived. She has the proof of posting and she makes the claim from Royal Mail. If the seller tries to fob you off then you open a dispute and you will get your money back.
Remain polite and calm in all communication.
Good luck

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:20:44

It is up to the seller to refund you all costs so postage too. If seller is unwilling to refund you can open an item not recieved dispute. Don't leave it too long though as i'm sure you only have so long to be able to do it.

idunnop Thu 16-Jul-09 14:46:04

The seller is obliged to refund you the full purchase price and postage, so ask for this. If she refuses, or delays, open a payal dispute. If she still dosn't refund, escalate it to a claim and paypal will award you the money. It's really not as much hassle as that sounds. You must open the dispute within 45 days of paying for the item. Keep all the communication really friendly, as you will definitely get your money back one way or another.

Oh, and if she says you have to wait until she has managed to claim the money back from Royal Mail, that's not true - she should refund you anyway.

Neither of you will end up out of pocket as the seller will be able to use the proof of posting to get her postage refunded and claim compensation for the value of the item (assuming it is up to £30).

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 17-Jul-09 12:48:12

Thank you all for your replies. I'll email her now. Things have been friendly so far and I'm hoping it will stay that way smile

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 17-Jul-09 14:03:33

Just emailed her to ask for a refund and said I'd be happy with a replacement item (she's an ebay shop).

She is sending one out today! Thanks everyone, I really just assumed that it was just hard luck on my part if it got lost!

idunnop Sat 18-Jul-09 10:41:12

Glad it worked out well. It's so easy to assume the worst each time there's a hitch on ebay (I've been guilty of this several times!) but it usually turns out OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now