Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

grrr - what does he think I am? A fool???

(39 Posts)
FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 10:37:54

Just sold my undercounter fridge and freezer on ebay using the best offer thing.

He responded quickly to my counter offer and I accepted.

He's just emailed me saying he was hoping to have it collected this afternoon, but wants to pay via paypal - which he will give me AFTER he's seen the goods.

What does he think I am? An idiot???

Have emailed him back to say no taking them away before I have my money.

I can see I'm probably going to end up having relist them now........

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 10:44:03

arghh - now he's saying he'll pay via paypal before he gets here.

But that still leaves me open to him claiming he didn't get them doesn't it.

MaDuggar Wed 15-Jul-09 16:44:20

Yep. Take cash on collection only!

expatinscotland Wed 15-Jul-09 16:46:25

Sounds like he's going to try to con you, yep.

Collect this afternoon for cash or nowt is what I'd tell him.

maxybrown Wed 15-Jul-09 17:21:13

Yes but unfortunately you HAVE to accept PP. Can you get him to sign something and do a counter copy, so you each have one of the same copy? Take a picture of him leaving with it ha ha ha ha. grin

maxybrown Wed 15-Jul-09 17:21:58

Yes but unfortunately you HAVE to accept PP. Can you get him to sign something and do a counter copy, so you each have one of the same copy? Take a picture of him leaving with it ha ha ha ha. grin

bubblagirl Wed 15-Jul-09 17:40:21

could't you tell him you would prefer cash on collection as paypal account is not working at moment and need the money

only receipt that would cover you for him having item would be from postal company with a tracking number a signed paper wont work at all

on collect items i always put in big writing cash on collection only

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 17:41:51

maxy - that's what I'm going to do - I did say that I really wanted cash, but they asked me (politely) if they could do paypal (again).

So I've said yes but if they could please sign something once here to confirm that they've collected it - which I'll then copy and send them a copy of.

She (not he as it turns out) was fine with that.

So - fingers crossed I'm not going to lose out on £265........

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 17:43:25

problem is there's nothing I can really do about it - I've accepted their offer through ebay - they have to pay me, I had to put Paypal as an option on the listing - and they've chosen to use that.

All I can do is hope for the best really now hmm

EldonAve Wed 15-Jul-09 17:52:01

paypal won't accept your bit of paper though - so he could still claim non receipt

demand cash!

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 17:54:17

I can't demand cash - as then I wouldn't be fulfilling my part of the deall as seller - they've already sent the paypal payment this morning.

Too late to do anything now except cross fingers and hope they're genuine. If not I'll be ££'s down, if they're genuine I'll be ££'s up.

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 18:03:44

Take a photo of them with the fridge?
Post a letter to them, registered, so you have a tracking number?

bedjumper Wed 15-Jul-09 18:06:53

def take a photo of them with the fridge in front of your front door, or get yor dh to take pic with both you and the buyer and fridge in it
they will think you are crackers and laugh about you to their mates down the pub but at least you wont get swindled out of 265!

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 18:11:48

so I take photo of me and them with fridge - then send it to them registered? Is that what you're suggesting?

They've just emailed (as promised) to let me know they're about to leave to come here (about an hours drive I think)

so have approx 45 minutes to come up with a way to at least half protect myself hmm

bedjumper Wed 15-Jul-09 18:15:35

no you nana! you keep pic of them with fridge along with signed receipt.
if they later go to paypal and say 'i paid thru paypal and faq never gave me the fridge, i want a refund'
paypal WILL give them a refund from you as you will have no postal tracking proof
instead you could say to buyer 'i have photographic proof and a signed receipt here if you claim non receipt of fridge i will report you to police for fraud'

tbh, if they are intending to de-fraud you then you taking photo and getting receipt will put them off BIG TIME and prevent all the hassle in the first place

bedjumper Wed 15-Jul-09 18:16:18

OH i see about registered idea <thick emoticon>
yes that might work too as evidence for paypal

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 18:20:07

ahh I'm with you - well I suppose either way would work - I'll get DH to take a photo and get them to sign a piece of paper as well - then like you say if they threaten to go down the non receipt of goods I'll have their name and photo to report to "higher authorities" than simply paypal.

maxybrown Wed 15-Jul-09 18:20:36

lol yes. it is ridiculous that PP won't accept a signed receipt. There must be something in law somewhere for this, as it is a signed document. Oh who knows. Bloomin PP, terrible when you're selling, great if you get stung and are buying.

If she did insist on cash only and refused PP then technically, the buyer could report her to ebay as she isn't fulfilling her ebay rules......sigh. lose lose as always when selling.

But at min I am having trouble with seller as items not as described and at least I have PP to fall back on, so benefits me there, but I AM being genuine hmm

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 18:37:08

well I mentioned in the reply to her email 15 minutes ago (asking for confirmation of my address) about the photo. DH is currently writing up something for her to sign to say she's collected it.

No reply to my email as yet

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 18:49:50

<<<chants "it'll be fine you only ever hear of the scammers, not the ok ones and there must be plenty of those as well">>>>>>>>>

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 18:51:06

just one question - if she leaves me feedback (positive hopefully lol) does that mean that she can't then claim non-receipt of goods?

As I'm thinking of encouraging her (strongly) to leave me feedback asap........surely if she says "great, just what I was looking for" - then she can't then claim that she didn't get them???

Claire2009 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:04:08

When she pays sometimes it's unavailable until she's given you feedback, but let her pay, then refund her 0.01p and you will have access to all the money straight away then via PP.

Then you can't lose.

Claire2009 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:05:04

Yep, the quicker she leaves feedback the quicker you have full access to the PP funds she has sent, and she can't retract positive feedback

FAQinglovely Wed 15-Jul-09 19:10:33

I've already got access to the money - it's already on it's way to my bank account lol.

So if she leaves feedback say tonight or tomorrow then she can't then come back with a non-receipt of goods claim can she (presuming she leaves me positive).

Tamarto Wed 15-Jul-09 19:11:49

Yes she still could, ebay/paypal don't see positive feedback as proof of reciept. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now