Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay - collection only "scam"

(7 Posts)
idunnop Mon 13-Jul-09 19:58:03

Bought a moses basket and stand on ebay for less than £2 and sent a message trying to arrange collection. No reply for 3 days, so I assumed the seller might be ignoring me due to having sold it so cheap. Sent another email today and got a nice friendly text in return saying they'd been away for the weekend and inviting me to come and collect this afternoon - hurray!

Drove to the address at the time agreed using trusty sat nav, rang the doorbell, no answer. hmm

Rang the doorbell again, knocked on the door, called hello round the back of the house, peered in the side window, clearly no one home. Phoned the seller's mobile, no answer, so left slightly snotty message saying 'I'm outside your house, there's no reply, call me asap'

Got stuck in hideous rush hour traffic on the way home and the 25-minute round trip ended up taking me over an hour. Really quite angry with seller and already planning how to word my negative feedback. angry angry

Seller phoned me on my drive home feigning surprise and saying she'd been in the whole time. I said I couldn't talk as was in the car, would phone back. But something she said about a green front door puzzled me so I looked up the address on Multimap when I get home....

I was standing outside the right number house... on the wrong street. blush blush blush

Have apologised to the very lovely and sweet seller and am going back tomorrow. blush

Blimming sat nav.

Think maybe I should give her a bit extra on top of the £1.41 to make amends blush

FAQinglovely Mon 13-Jul-09 19:59:39

ooops grin

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 20:03:07

oh noooooooo! hope it all works out ok tomorrow

idunnop Mon 13-Jul-09 20:09:10

grin grin Can't believe ebay has made me so untrusting of people already - I've only been using it for a few months!

Seriously, would you offer a bit more money (the max bid I'd entered was about £5) or give a box of choccies or something? I wasn't actually rude, but she must have realised I thought she'd stood me up on purpose. And she genuinely sounds really nice.

soremummy Mon 13-Jul-09 20:15:47

give her £5 and a small box of chocs

WriggleJiggle Tue 14-Jul-09 12:07:34

A couple of times people have won my items for absolutely nothing (99p), and then gone on to give me what they were prepared to pay as their top bid (£5), or some icecream money for the children.
No reason for them to do that at all, I didn't put any reserve on, so was prepared for it to go for nothing.
Their kindness gave me a really warm glow though smile

TheChilliMooseIsRubbish Tue 14-Jul-09 12:21:38

Oh how embarrassing. A box of chocs is a lovely idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now