Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Few feedback questions: sending reminders, leaving buyer feedback before they do

(8 Posts)
Sputnik Mon 13-Jul-09 13:14:40

I've just started selling on ebay and I'm desperate for more feedback.

The first few things I sold I left feedback for the buyer as soon as I got paid, I thought this was normal, but have since been told I should have waited til they left some for me.

I have also been told that people get annoyed with reminders to leave feedback. I am not annoyed by it at all personally, and I recently bought something from ebay from a very large seller: they left me feedback on payment and sent a reminder.

Anyway, what do most of you do about who leaves feedback first?
Should I send out reminders? We are talking about things posted 2 weeks ago, not bugging people after 3 days or whatever.

Knickers0nMaHead Mon 13-Jul-09 13:18:09

As a seller, id wait untill the buyer leaves feedback so you know the item has been received. And sending reminders is a big no imo.

MaDuggar Mon 13-Jul-09 13:18:31

NO, dont send out reminders, a lot of buyers hate it, and some will leave you a neutral or even a neg if you dare ask.

YOu can leave your feedback whenever you like, there is no right or wrong way. If the buyer has paid promptly, there really isnt any reason why you cant leave them a positive feedback.

Some sellers like to "hold on" to the feedback until the buyer is happy, so that they have a bargaining chip if the buyer has a problem. Im not a fan of this way myself, but understand why some do it.

Sputnik Mon 13-Jul-09 13:26:14

What if I send reminders to people who bought stuff a month ago, assuming they wouldn't otherwise?

The seller I recieved a reminder from had done 10s of 1000s of transactions, with 100% positive feedback, obviously it wasn't hurting them.

Pingpong Mon 13-Jul-09 13:28:28

As a seller I give feedback as soon as I receive payment - someone has to make the first move afterall. I also agree reminders for feedback are annoying.
When I receive payment I contact the buyer and thank them for payment, tell them when I will post the item and say I will leave positive feedback and thank them for their business. That's all, if that is not enough of a prompt then I leave them to it. A lot of people just don't bother with feedback but it's annoying when you have a low score and paypal are holding on to your money!

Sputnik Mon 13-Jul-09 13:37:39

That sounds like a good way forward to me Smac.

HollyBunda Mon 13-Jul-09 18:13:25

I'm with Smac - I leave FB as soon as they have paid. They have completed their end of the bargain.
If they don't leave me FB in return, I just let it go.
I really feel like FB is pointless now, unless of course you are new. In that case, you want buyers to be on your side, and giving them +FB straight away probably helps.

mel1981 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:40:47

I wa about to post the same thing then saw this.
Ive been selling on ebay for a while and everyone used to leave feedback. But since all the changes ive noticed a drop in buyers leaving feedback. I used to leave FB once payment received and item sent but I have over 15 buyers not left feedback in the last month!
I know its not a big deal but I dont see how its so hard for some people to leave + or - FB.
Prob should just let it go over my head but I like to know im doing things right. (I know- obsessive alert! LOL) blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now