Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Do I refund? Would you? Will I get my fees back?

(18 Posts)
NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 08:38:42

Just sold an item on eBay that was on eBay (typically had about 5 watchers) literally 30 seconds after they paid (it was immediate payment required) I recieved this...

Hi there, I am so so sorry about this but my boyfriend has bought and paid for this but i have just bought one from someone else. I am sorry to ask but is there any chance we could cancel this transaction and you refund me?? I'm sorry again and hope you can help. Many thanks

It sounds like bull crap to me but I don't see that I have much choice? I stand to recieve a neg if I don't refund. So if I refund am I then able to open a mutal agreement thingy to get my fees back?

dizzydixies Sun 12-Jul-09 08:41:24

can you second chance offer it to someone else & refund it minus cost of fees?

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 08:42:03

No as it was BIN not auction.

dizzydixies Sun 12-Jul-09 08:45:12

ah, does that mean no second chance offers?

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 08:47:47

It does as there's noone to second chance offer it too, you can only do that on an auction where you have had several people bidding as that means there is someone else to offer it too.

MaDuggar Sun 12-Jul-09 08:48:42

YOu can try a mutual, but if the buyer ticks the wrong box, you dont get your fees back! So its up to you if you trust them to do the right thing at their end or not.

Your other option is to refund their paypal payment, and then open a dispute after 7 days for no payment. The buyer will then get a strike against their name, which will hopefully stop them doing it again! And you get your fees back.

TBH, Id be tempted to do the latter if I thought it was bull crap grin

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 08:53:19

The buyers just emailed back saying to refund minus postage to cover my fees but I feel wrong doing that, will I get in trouble? Would you do it?

dizzydixies Sun 12-Jul-09 08:54:11

I'd do it and relist - maybe she was genuine?

Qally Sun 12-Jul-09 08:58:48

I would - especially as BIN isn't like an auction, they have statutory rights, so can usually return things anyway if they like (you can't with auctions unless the seller agrees, but Distance Selling Regs kick in with BIN I believe). And the postage offer is actually quite generous, especially since you can't neg her, so she may be genuine.

Agreeing a refund and then issuing a strike is poor form, IMO.

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 09:03:07

Refunded & opened that mutually agreed thing, made sure I put the reason down that is was the buyer that didn't want to complete & she's done her bit so I got my fees back.

Still had to pay to relist though angry

MaDuggar Sun 12-Jul-09 09:58:35

I think its poorer form to back out after agreeing to buy! If you let buyers of, more & more will do it. Issuing strikes stops this from happening.

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 10:15:25

It's frustrating & really cheesed me off, I think she was lying personally but what could I do?! I wanted my fees back & I wanted to relist asap to try & get back the watchers I lost through this waste of time buyer!

Trouble is nowadays buyers have a hold over us sellers as they can easily neg us!

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 10:21:48

Hoorah, it's sold (again) & I got my listing fee back too, double hoorah grin

Qally Sun 12-Jul-09 17:28:25

But - she had the legal right to return the item, anyway. She paid the postage costs as compensation, correctly agreed to mutually cancel, and the relisting was free. So seller is up the postage amount plus listinga happy bunny!would be fee - no? So I don't really understand the issue.

I sell on Ebay as well, and if that was the worst experience I'd ever had I would be a happy bunny, tbh. Talking about a strike in this context is also pointless, because she could just get it removed - it's obviously an abuse of the system when the transaction's been mutually cancelled, and it's not as if she was unpleasant in asking, either.

"Changed my mind refund me or a neg" is one thing; then, definitely, refund and wait till pos, issue a strike. Done. But here it seems a completely over the top suggestion.

Qally Sun 12-Jul-09 17:29:10

Gah, sorry - baby decided to aid me in posting...

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 18:15:26

Er.....no I'm not, I didn't take a penny off her as I didn't agree with doing that, I refunded the buyer in FULL!

Qally Sun 12-Jul-09 20:42:09

Aww, well that was good of you - you'd have been entitled to accept I think, for the wasted effort on your part.

NormaSknockers Sun 12-Jul-09 20:53:31

I just didn't feel right accepting it tbh, it was a nice gesture & I was peeved but just didn't feel right taking her money. Still, all worked out ok in the end grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now