Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Auction AND 'Buy it now' , No Longer ? This is MAD !!

(13 Posts)
Oblomov Fri 10-Jul-09 11:21:55

O.k. so I am FUMING.
FUMING.
Apparently e bay has changed.
We had an item. Started it as an auction. Then someone contacted us, asking it we would sell for £120. So we went in an added a buy it now price for £120. We could do this because it had no bids.
Then someone bid on it. And the buy it now function of £120 disappeared.
I spoke to e bay customer services about this. And he said that yes, this was now the case. You can not run an auction, alongside a buy it now.
I mean. THIS IS STUPID.
I am so very very cross.

LuluSkipToMyLou Fri 10-Jul-09 11:24:27

You can still withdraw it from sale, surely? And just explain what happened to the bidder.

Fimbo Fri 10-Jul-09 11:26:56

I thought it was always the case????

I tried to buy a Next bedding and curtain set in this way, I was paying by cheque. The seller and I agreed a price and that I would bid over the odds to get them. I bid something ridiculous like £60 but only actually paid the seller £25.

LuluSkipToMyLou Fri 10-Jul-09 11:27:37

Read at the bottom of the page here. I don't think it's changed, it's just that you can't change the listing to BIN after a bid has been received. It tells you at the bottom of the help page what you should do if you want to sell it to the person who offered you £120.

Hope that helps!

PortAndLemon Fri 10-Jul-09 11:30:28

The Buy it Now option has always disappeared once a bid has been placed, though. It's always been an exceedingly strange policy (I mean, either let the auction run with a Buy It Now option there as well OR say that you can't have a Buy It Now price on an auction at all, but not this bizarre halfway house), but it's been a consistent strange policy. Or at least, I haven't been following things recently but that was how it worked years ago.

Oblomov Fri 10-Jul-09 14:16:50

Thank you.
Sorry, sorry. I HAVE calmed down now !!
I have ended it and relisted it as a buy it now for £120.
Wierd policy.
Lulu, I did adda bin price, before, any bids were placed.
I have seen auctions go this way before. Say started at 99p. Bid up to say £7.98, and then at the last minute someone comes in and buys it now for £15. I suppose if ou were a bidder in the auction that would be infuriating.
Anyway, I have resolved it. Thank you everyone.

idunnop Fri 10-Jul-09 16:17:07

Hi - I started a thread on exactly the same thing recently as I find it annoying too. Basically as soon as someone places a bid, even for 99p, your BIN price disappears. The only way you can keep your BIN price is by also adding a reserve price - in that case, the BIN price stays until your reserve is met. I can't see the logic in this at all, but them's the rules unfortunately.....

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 16:38:15

If it's the cot it's still on a bid afaics.

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 16:38:49

If it's the cot it's still on a bid afaics.

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 17:04:50

...and I shall be a bit fed up if you do get £120 for it!!!

NormaSknockers Fri 10-Jul-09 18:58:50

But this has always been the case, I don't see what's changed? If you have an item on auction that also with a BIN the BIN has always disappeared when someone places a bid.

NormaSknockers Fri 10-Jul-09 19:00:18

The only time the BIN doesn't disappear is when you have set a reserve, in that instance the BIN will remain until either the BIN option is taken on the bidding reaches the reserve that has been set.

LucyMinter Sat 11-Jul-09 06:18:14

HUUUUUGE mix up there last night. I am so sorry Oblomov.blush I've emailed you back x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now