Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller asking for more money to cover postage

(17 Posts)
Abi12 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:31:32

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice, I've just bought a maclaren buggy and paid £15.00 for postage, have just received an email from the seller saying she has posted the buggy but it came to £4.00 more than she expected and could I please forward the extra money on to her paypal.

I've often sold things on eBay and have never asked for extra money - if postage is a bit more than I've charged I just take it on the chin. I'm not sure what to do - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 16:34:21

She is taking the p*ss!

you chose to bid on the basis of the total cost and it is totally unreasonable for her to change that now.

politely refuse.

Tortoise Wed 08-Jul-09 16:36:38

I would never ask for more postage if i had charged to little.
I don't think they can make you pay it especially if it has already been posted.

Abi12 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:39:42

Thanks - I thought the same but wondered if I was being really mean. She hasn't left me any feedback - could she leave me bad feedback over this?
I haven't left her any feedback either so could just wait and see what she does?

piscesmoon Wed 08-Jul-09 16:47:55

It is her mistake and she has to be the loser-it is nothing to do with the buyer! I have got caught out, but it was my own stupidity-I wouldn't ask for someone else to pick up the tab. I have noticed that people have often paid a bit more on postage than they asked for, when they post to me.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 08-Jul-09 16:50:38

Sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback anymore they physically are not able doesn't give you an option so she couldn't do that.
I am usually pretty spot on with postage and manage to get it right to the penny including my packaging but have occasionally been caught out and TBH you just have to suck it up and learn for next time.

Abi12 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:56:30

Thanks so much for all your responces - its given me tho omph to politley say no.

I seem to be getting problems with every item I sell or buy latley - lots of people asking for refunds or complaining about one thing or another - it's putting me of using eBay! I dread my 'New Messages' as much as my gas bill at the moment!

crokky Wed 08-Jul-09 17:01:57

I'm put off eBay for similar reasons - buying and selling. If I undercharge for postage, I swallow the loss - the finished listing is a binding contract. She can't leave you a neg anymore. You can leave her whatever you like though.

How much did you pay for the buggy itself? If you got a particularly good deal, I might offer to split the excess postage and give her £2 instead of £4. But really she shouldn't expect you to pay any more. Sounds like the sort of person who when they make a mistake, she wants someone else to take the hit for it - v common on eBay!

piscesmoon Wed 08-Jul-09 17:14:41

I had forgotten that one-she can't leave you negative feed back-so you have nothing to fear. The worst she could do is write a comment about it, but you could reply and I would think 99% of people would be on your side.

Abi12 Wed 08-Jul-09 17:17:25

With postage I've paid just over £100.00 - pretty average for the buggy I've bought as its incomplete another complete one sold for £125.00 a few hours later and I wonder if I should have gone for that one instead!

crokky Wed 08-Jul-09 19:55:50

I personally don't think she can quibble over £4 postage excess when you've paid over £100. Remind her that the listing is a contract and postage is fixed according to what's written in the listing.

idunnop Wed 08-Jul-09 20:23:49

She should use a different courier - £15 shoud have been more than enough! Sellers can't leave negative feedback, but if she leaves positive feedback with a negative comment you can ask ebay to remove it, as that's not allowed.

expatinscotland Wed 08-Jul-09 20:26:56

tough. she's taking the piss. i wouldn't give her a bean.

TheChilliMooseOfDoom Wed 08-Jul-09 20:27:28

Don't give her a penny. She could have got a courier for less than £10, let alone £15.
If she underestimated her postage cost, then that is her own fault.
And crokky is exactly right. The listing is a contract.

Abi12 Thu 09-Jul-09 16:10:21

Thanks so much for all the advise, it's greatly appreciated. I haven't replied to seller yet but will definatley put in that the 'listing is a contract and postage is fixed according to whats written in the listing'. Hope she doesn't get arsey - but knowing eBay she will!

TheChilliMooseOfDoom Thu 09-Jul-09 16:26:25

She won't have a leg to stand on. She has posted the item which you have paid for.

expatinscotland Thu 09-Jul-09 20:40:03

She can get arsey all she wants, like Chilli monster says, she can't neg you and she can't do FA.

She needs to accept she fucked up.

Tough.

That's life.

And for all you know, she's taking the piss and trying to con you out of more money.

Don't give her another penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now