Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

want to start selling

(9 Posts)
Hther Mon 06-Jul-09 08:04:31

I have only ever bought from ebay before and want to start selling, but haven't a clue how to pack stuff, at least not clothing. I'm not selling the kind f stuff you can buy jiffy bags before, what do you use for small items of clothes?

Wrap them in a bin bag?!

And ho much do you charge for packing?

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Mon 06-Jul-09 08:10:10

You can buy plastic mailing bags from ebay, that's what I use.
I weigh the item before I list it and work out the P&P cost that way, I have a list of weights and costs. Add a bit for the cost of the mailer and journey to PO etc.

HolyGuacamole Mon 06-Jul-09 08:12:53

I recycle packaging from things that people send to me and have had things sent in inside-out carrier bags etc, it's all good. I also have a stack of house moving wrapping paper and a giant roll of bubble wrap leftover so use that too with tonnes of sellotape incase the packaging gets ripped.

I find it cheapest to send as first class packet and add on a little, for a tshirt, maybe £2 - £2.50 (probably average for kids stuff, depends on weight) or adult jeans £4. I use my kitchen scales to weight it and print the postage straight from Paypal. Then you just take it to the PO and get them to stamp the certificate of posting so you can claim if it goes amiss.

Hther Mon 06-Jul-09 08:15:21

ooh quick response thanks

find it hard to know how much to charge for mailing bag, will obviously weigh it for cost of postage

Hther Mon 06-Jul-09 09:06:53

one more question, can't find battery charger for cameara batteries so can't uupload a photo. Is it ok to use photo form the wbsite that sells the product, although not sure i ahve the technical knowledge to be able to do that either! eg if selling an ergo baby sling can you use photo off the ergo website

CherryChoc Mon 06-Jul-09 09:10:35

Yes that's fine to do Hther, but it is best to use pictures of the actual product if you can, especially if it's second hand and has any imperfections. Have you got a camera on your mobile phone?

expatinscotland Mon 06-Jul-09 09:17:54

Be prepared for buyers who take the piss and treat independent Ebay sellers as they would a shop - expecting refunds (which they can claim up to 35 days after) when they don't like the item. Research the Ebay topic here and you'll find all kinds of people who've been completely burned by buyers.

I was and that's why I stopped selling on Ebay.

idunnop Mon 06-Jul-09 09:48:22

When listing an item in ebay, you can click on 'Postage estimator' in the p&p section enter the weight of the item and it shows Royal Mail prices - I then just add on 50p to cover packaging etc. I get very good feedback scores for p&p so buyers seem happy with that too. If you can, it's worth posting every item at the Post Office so that you can get proof of posting in case anything goes missing. If you want to print off your own postage however, I think PayPal only allows you to print 1st class postage (?) but you can also print 1st/2nd class postage from the Royal Mail website whihc is what I do.

I'd say it's important to upload pictures of the actual item you're selling, as buyers want to have seen it for themselves before bidding.

I always provide costs for 2nd class and 1st class postage so that the buyer can choose (ebay allows you to enter 2 options). So far every buyer has chosen the 2nd class postage.

I hope this helps! I warn you though, it's quite addictive smile

Pingpong Mon 06-Jul-09 13:27:46

you can use generic images like the one from the Ergo website but you aren't allowed to use other people's photos. It's a real bug bear of mine when people click on sell similar and use my picture and most of my text.
You can also go to Google images and you might find what you are looking for there.
For used items though it's best to take your own photos.
I get a massive roll of brown paper and sticky tape and then you can wrap up any size of parcel.
I also use my electronic kitchen scales and the RM website to work out postage. Also check what other people are charging. You don't have to be the cheapest you just have to remain fair.
I also have an A5 notebook where I jot down what I've sold, the buyers username, real name, email address and postcode. I tick off when they have paid and when it's posted. If you are selling quite a bit it is easy to get muddled up. Always get proof of posting and keep the receipts together in a box. Buyers have 45 days to make a claim and you don't want to be hunting the house for that elusive proof of posting.
GL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now