Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What should I do with this returned item?

(11 Posts)

I sent a parcel out second class recorded, and it has been returned to me as uncollected.

I have e-mailed the buyer and offered to repost it (at their cost), but have had no reply.

What to do?

I should expect them to pay the postage again shouldn't I? It's not my fault they didn't pick it up.

In the same way, if they ask for a refund, then I presume I just have to refund the item price not the original postage?

surreylady Tue 30-Jun-09 11:46:48

same happened to me a couple of weeks ago - buyer never replied so eventually refunded item cost minus postage - still never heard back - perhaps it is the same buyer!

sixlostmonkeys Tue 30-Jun-09 12:35:18

you are correct about it all apart from - the refund should include the original p&p ie. a full refund

Oh really? That's annoying as it isn't my fault.

surreylady Tue 30-Jun-09 13:01:18

Six - Are you sure - if you have the tracking number (as required for Paypal disputes) and also the PO confirmation that it was not collected (which you get with the returned parcel) I think this is enough to win a dispute should they open one - otherwise buyers can simply not collect a package if they change their mind - as a seller you are already hit by the selling fees - I would (and did) refund net.

<<dithering>> don't know what to do now.

Really don't think I should have to refund postage, still haven't heard from the buyer.

MatNanPlus Tue 30-Jun-09 13:06:07

Really six?

As far as i have found refunds are for the item perchased not for the postage also incurred.

MatNanPlus Tue 30-Jun-09 13:06:54

blush purchased

surreylady Tue 30-Jun-09 13:19:38

If you refund minus postage - the buyer can chose to open a dispute re the postage cost only as the rest has been refunded - in this case you can chose to refund if you wish - or let paypal decide based on the evidence - so I would go this route - especially since you have tried to contact them before refunding which you can show.

geordieminx Tue 30-Jun-09 13:47:29

I had this a year ago, the seller never got in touch to say the item hadnt arrived, eventually it came back to me, so I emailed her to ask if she wanted it posting again, and that I would need postage costs, heard nothing, emailed another twice, still heard nothing so I kept the item and didnt refund blush

sixlostmonkeys Tue 30-Jun-09 14:44:31

a refund is always a full refund. paypal only look at the tracking number to see if it was delivered - if not delivered then a refund is issued.

if you haven't heard anything yet then do nothing. if you do hear and she wants a refund you can always offer a refund minus the p&p, but if she argues this then....it's up to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now