Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Just bought my first item at auction on ebay - its a collect in person, do I pay now through paypl or when I collect?

(10 Posts)
AnguaVonUberwald Thu 25-Jun-09 09:46:49

I have bought a sandpit for DS on ebay - paying through paypal - its a collect in person, which we can't do until Sunday (assuming she is free then) Do I pay now, or just before we collect or how do I do it?

If I pay now, am I protected if she never actually arranges for us to collect?

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 25-Jun-09 09:49:27

Did the seller say in their listing how they would prefer you to pay? I generally pay in cash if I am collecting something. From the point of view of the seller, if you paid using paypal they'd have to pay feeds on it, and also if you paid and didn't collect, you could probably manage to get the money back through paypal.

I'd get in touch with them and organise when you're going to pick up and pay.

bigstripeytiger Thu 25-Jun-09 09:50:33

Pay in cash.
She probably wont want you to use paypal because if you pay with pay pal and then say you never got the item then you will be refunded, as she wont be able to prove that you got it, so paypal should never be used for a collect in person.

Curiousmama Thu 25-Jun-09 09:51:00

yes agree contact them first and see what they prefer?

crokky Thu 25-Jun-09 09:51:42

You generally pay in cash for a collection.

I would send an email saying that would it be convenient to collect on Sunday and you would like to pay in cash and is that OK.

TheChilliMoose Thu 25-Jun-09 09:53:10

I would ask and see what she prefers. She might, like LovelyRita and Bigstripeytiger say, prefer cash as it means she won't get charged fees, but she might prefer the protection that Paypal offers, although I guess that more applied to you as the buyer.
If I collect, I prefer to pay cash once I have seen the item and I am happy with it.

bubblagirl Thu 25-Jun-09 10:04:08

most sellers and buyers pay on collection or prefer this as some buyers have said haven't got item and as its collected no receipts have been given via royal mail so no proof of having given item and paypal refunds money

just mail them and say is it ok to pay cash on collection and when is convenient for you?

cuppachar Thu 25-Jun-09 10:27:28

I've always paid by paypal for collection items personally, so if I were you I'd choose whichever method you're more comfortable with. It's true cash is better for the seller on collection items though.

AnguaVonUberwald Thu 25-Jun-09 13:51:42

She has asked for paypal, so I will go ahead with it, good to know I can get my money back if collection never goes ahead.d

Thankyou for your advise.

cuppachar Thu 25-Jun-09 17:02:31

The trouble is, you can never prove whether the collection did or did not go ahead - that's the arguement for cash on collection!

If she offered both methods in her listing then the choice is yours. However if she only gave the option of paypal then you don't have a choice anyway. I'm sure it will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now