Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Newbie question

(3 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 24-Jun-09 00:50:08

I joined ebay a few years ago to bid on an item I didn't win. However, I have a membership name, and paypal linked to my debit card/bank account, and I sometimes use paypal to buy stuff online. I've bought from ebay a few times and have 100% positive feedback (albeit from only 2 sellers grin).

My MIL is having an attic clearout and wants me to sell her stuff on ebay for her. I'm going through threads here, and looking at ebay policies etc, so that I have an idea of what I'm doing. Starting with ebay, with the basics, I need to pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/seller_account.html create a seller account.]] Will this be a different account from the one I have, or is there some way to convert my current membership?

And if you have any handy tips for newbies - like scams, as I saw one mentioned earlier tonight - I'd be eternally grateful. I won't be selling to anyone abroad, know to check postal rates before listing, that a listing should start on a Friday night for maximum attention...

sixlostmonkeys Wed 24-Jun-09 07:02:58

an ebay account is ok for both buying and selling.
Selling abroad is fine, just look up the cost on the RM website. If you don't want to sell outside the UK you must change this in your preferences.
Listings that end on a Sunday evening tend to do best so 10 day start at Thur, or 7 day at Sun etc.
Start at the lowest you would let your item go for. Look at completed listings for similar items to give you an idea of what stuff sells for.
Remember recorded delivery is for your protection not the buyer's so use it and don't give an option

Good luck

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 24-Jun-09 15:04:00

Thanks, sixlostmonkeys, especially for the info re my account.

*goes back to studying terms and conditions*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now