I am in the process of selling (don't ask sooo stressed, not going according to plan..) Anyway.. I thought I would put my stresses to one side and do something constructive.
I put our sofa on ebay and got a message today from someone who said that they were moving before the end of the auction and had a van and would be interested in buying the sofa on a buy now if we could agree the right price. I sent her a reply with our expected price, but if we agree I have NO idea on how to do the "buy it now" option.. Am I allowed to stop the auction? There has been no bids so far..
Such a techno phobe, was well pleased with myself when I managed to put it on ebay in the first place, but now and confused.
Firstly, this is a common pseudo-scam amongst potential buyers - they say they would like to buy it, but are only in the area on X, or need ti urgently etc in the hope that you will sell it to them at a lower price than it would otherwise reach at auction.
You are not obliged to sell it to someone just because they ask for a Buy It Now.
HOWEVER if you DO decide to sell it to them, then yes, you can cancel the auction - have a look in the eBay help pages - and you will probably be able to give a reason like it's no longer available for sale, or has been sold elsewhere.
Ebay don't like you doing this, as it evades the final value fee, but it is possible.
Personally if I haven't set a BuyItNow I never sell the item early or cancel the auction as you will nearly always get more for it if you ride it out....
they can pay by paypal. come get the item, then open a dispute saying they never received the item and because they picked it up from your house you cannot prove that they have it (no tracking). Paypal will rule in their favor and then you are totally out of money & product. it's a really crappy scam.
Update! The buy it now person never came back to me.. Surprise surprise!
I had a winning bidder (had) on Sunday, who just text me saying "sorry, I didnt realise how far you were from where I live, sorry it's too far for me to drive"
So basically thats it! I sent a second chance offer to the second bidder, and the original buyer offered to pay the difference (its only a quid) but Im still the 10% ebay fee out... noticed the option to send a pay dispute but they wont let me submit this until 7 days after the event!!!