Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

buyer wants to do bank transfer instead of paypal, is this unsafe?

(18 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Wed 17-Jun-09 15:48:19

Message withdrawn

redclover79 Wed 17-Jun-09 15:55:04

I've often wondered about this, no experience so not much help sorry!
<lurk>

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 17-Jun-09 16:00:18

I wouldn't do it. Paypal is there for a reason - so buyers can't see your bank details.

If she has a bank account there is no reason she can't use paypal.

Pingpong Wed 17-Jun-09 16:00:32

I'd be a bit hmm about giving out my bank details TBH. Paypal costs you and a PO would cost her but bank transfer would be free.
I'd stick to your guns and say sorry Paypal preferred but PO accepted.

YanknCock Wed 17-Jun-09 16:03:35

I wouldn't do it. If she knows how to do bank transfers and all that, why hasn't she set up a paypal account linked to her bank? Not as though it's hard!

Would say she's in the wrong here anyway as you specified paypal only. How did she get to bid anyway? I thought if you set up the auction paypal only, it wouldn't allow bidders without paypal accounts.

JustcallmeDog Wed 17-Jun-09 16:09:36

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 17-Jun-09 16:11:31

Think you aren't protected if anything goes wrong.

Yank is right -- paypal is linked to one's bank account, so no difference

Bucharest Wed 17-Jun-09 16:16:38

When I asked this a few months ago, everyone replied to me saying a bank transfer would be their idea of heaven as then they wouldn't have to pay paypal fees etc.....

I wouldn't do it though..while it's true that there's not a lot anyone can do with just an account number, it still doesn't fel "right".

She sounds a bit dodgy to me....

Sunshinemummy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:25:59

The kind of bank transfer makes a different too. Ordinary transfers take up to 4 working days. A BACS transfer will cost her (not sure how much these days but used to be around £30) and will be the same day.

Sunshinemummy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:26:21

BTW that's cost to her not you.

YanknCock Wed 17-Jun-09 16:28:04

I'd be hmm too about her claiming she can't use the account. What's her feedback like?

chevre Wed 17-Jun-09 16:28:09

bank transfers only take a day now and cost nothing.

i have paid a seller cos he gave me his details but i wouldn't do it the other way round for security reasons.

ask her to send a cheque and if she refuses. relist

Pingpong Wed 17-Jun-09 16:32:56

you're not supposed to relist just yet. You are supposed to try and resolve any issues first.
I would politely decline her offer of a bank transfer and say paypal is your preference but PO would be acceptable.
If she hasn't paid within 7 days then you can start a claim but she can still pay (I think you get another 8 days before the case is closed) if she pays within that 8 days she is still entitled to get that item. If you have relisted it or sold it to someone else you can expect neg feedback.
I've relisted too promptly and then had to pull a listing as the buyer paid up.
It is worth starting an unpaid dispute after 7 days as the process is quite long and drawn out IMO

Sunshinemummy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:47:58

Chevre they don't take a day at my bank? I'm with FD and they still trot out the 4 working days line when I ask for one.

redclover79 Wed 17-Jun-09 16:48:30

I've had a few months where I couldn't use my account. It got hacked and my bank account was emptied days before Xmas. I had to block my account and paypal said they wouldn't reinstate it without me faxing loads of personal data! I don't have a fax, xmas hols etc meant a huge delay plus they didn't refund my money for more than 6 weeks, think it was nearly 3 months to reinstate account, I could still bid on eBay though!

MaDuggar Wed 17-Jun-09 21:14:37

Perfectly safe and id bite the hand off any ebayer who offered to pay me by this method!

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 21-Jun-09 10:05:51

I'd agree they were safe, you only have to give the account number and sort code out, no names etc. Very fast and free of charge and no charegebacks.

You give more details out on a cheque than needed for bank transfers. If your bank offers a e-savings account you can use those details so doesnt have to be a current account.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 21-Jun-09 18:51:28

I read on one of the boards that someone did this and then posted the item - after 25 days the fake bank transfer was reversed. Her bank didn't even apologise - apparently it can take a long time for them to be confirmed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now