Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

My feedback has dropped to 85%! All becasue one buyer didn't like the fact that her dress arrived,in her opinion, late

(29 Posts)
Saltire Tue 16-Jun-09 16:01:17

I clearly state that I do most of my posting on Fridays or Saturdays, becasue these days I have a spare 30-45 minutes to stand around in the post office waiting to get served.
Anyway, dress sold on 29th May ( a friday) and was paid on the saturday. So I posted it the following Saturday,which I what I say on teh ebay listing. She says she emailed me lots - she did twice, each time I pointed out the reference to posting in the listing! SO now, out of about 9 feedbacks, 1 negative has dropped by score. All the others say the item arrived quickly and didn't have a problem!

paranoidmother Tue 16-Jun-09 16:16:07

I think you're able to add a note to feedback, i've seen it on other peoples. Just add a not saying that it was posted on the saturday after receiving payment (if space put about it's always fri/sat posting)

Sorry to hear it as well. All it takes is one person to be a pain.

oliverboliverbutt Tue 16-Jun-09 18:54:26

She paid straight away. I'm afraid a week+ is too long to wait. You can add a note under her FB, but I'd be a bit hacked off as well.
You only have 9 FB scores, you should be doing everything you can at this moment to make your buyers happy or you will lose your selling account quickly.

carrielou2007 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:30:09

The rules of ebay state that you must post the item within max of 7 days of cleared payment. I really have never come across a seller that takes that long to post a item. If it really is something that you are not able or prepared to do to post more frequently then you might need to rethink being an ebay seller as you will very likely get other negs for this very same reason.

I know you say it is stated on your listing, personally it would put me off and I would not buy from you. Everyone is different but really if someone paid on a sat I would really be aiming to post the item on the mon, tue at the lastest.

Saltire Tue 16-Jun-09 23:17:54

Well if I go during the week I miss my bus back in time to get to school for the Dses. I ahve to queue for up to 45 mintues at the post office, so going on a friday or saturday is the only option. I posted 2 items I sold last night today - queued for 35 minutes to do so and was very late for work. I have wrapped up 3 things I sold today ready for posting tomorrow, and will be very late for work again.
I don't just have 9 feedback scores, I have 389, and only 4 of them are negative, 2 of those for people who said they didn't receive the item. 1 of them hers. I recently sold 10 things after a break of 9 months

Pingpong Tue 16-Jun-09 23:26:56

You can always ask Ebay to remove the neg? I've never tried it but if you can give a valid reason then why not?
You said the fact it was Fri/Sat posting was clearly mentioned on the listing so they may side with you.
You've got nothing to lose by trying.
45 minutes at the PO sounds unbearable - that would put me off ebay more than anything else!

Mspontipine Tue 16-Jun-09 23:31:26

What kind of value is the stuff you're selling? Unless I'm selling something expensive I don't even bother getting pop anymore - and never recorded.

I just weigh, measure, stick stamps on and post in any box I'm passing - usually same day. All 100% feedback. Only ever had 3/700 parcels go astray. For smaller value items not worth spending all that time queuing and waiting and stress.

FAQinglovely Tue 16-Jun-09 23:33:46

there is actually a drop down box when you sell on ebay to say "dispatch time" - and it goes up to 20 business days! If it's clearly stated in the listing then you've done nothing wrong.

I have just ordered a CD tonight from a small website (company - not ebay) - it's going to take 3-5 days to post, will be with me in 10-14 days. I knew that before I ordered so I have no right to complain when it's not here in 3 days time......

snice Tue 16-Jun-09 23:34:25

Print off your own postage labels from Royal Mail website then just drop parcels off with no need to queue

Bonneville Tue 16-Jun-09 23:40:50

45 mins in a queue at the Post Office?. Really? Ive not seen a queue in any post office for a long time! Or certainly not one where you'd have to wait anywhere near as long as 45 mins especially on a Friday or Saturday because these are not benefit payment days. If this is happening - complain.

FAQinglovely Tue 16-Jun-09 23:41:07

"The rules of ebay state that you must post the item within max of 7 days of cleared payment"

reallly - I'm struggling to find that on there??? (especially given the 20 business day dispatch option on the listings!)

FAQinglovely Tue 16-Jun-09 23:44:08

Bonneville - you should come to my post office - one main post office in town - and then 2 small ones, right on the outskirts of town which are impossible to get to unless you live "local" to it or drive........so everyone uses the main one. The queues are always horrendous any day of the week - Saturdays even worse as they close early then!

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 23:51:35

Could you start your listings on a Sunday and do what you do now, clearly state that posting days will be either Fri or Sat?

This way, you will be posting the items out well within 7 days.

Saltire Wed 17-Jun-09 07:57:27

I always send recorded so need to go into PO. I do this because I had too many people claiming their item hadn't arrived and wanting a refund. I caught one of them out by emailing him back and saying "I don't know why you claim you haven't received it, the tracking notice says its been signed for". He replied with "I didn't have tos ign anything when it was delivered" yet he still claimed he ahdn't got it and got a refund.

The PO has 12 counters with only 2/3 open at any one time. I think it's the only one for miles around

LoulouCapone Wed 17-Jun-09 10:13:04

I totally sympathise with the OP. Our main post office almost always has a queue of between 20 and 40 mins.
I work full time weekdays, I only have a half an hour lunch, and the nearest PO to my work would take 15mins to get to so I HAVE to post on a Saturday.
I always, always make this clear in my listings, yet people still complain.
One guy took two days to pay, then sent me a message an hour later asking me if I'd posted it!
I'm not a business, I'm just trying to clear out our stuff without going to a boot sale, expectations are getting too high where ebay is concerned, and it is very much set against people just clearing out.

LoulouCapone Wed 17-Jun-09 10:16:11

I also agree re sending recorded. Too many people trying it on now you can't give them neg feedback.
My local PO still have to "Check in" any parcels you label/pay for online. So I can't get round the queues that way either.

Bucharest Wed 17-Jun-09 10:18:26

I used to have this problem- and whilst listing things on a day a few days before your posting date, as suggested by Flappy should work in theory, in practice you get the ones who always pay late as well...so if you really can't get to the PO, then you're stuck for another week.....

I'd try and get the f/b removed, as others have said, nothing to lose....and if the rules state you have up to 20 days as long as it's made clear on your listing, then they might do it for you...

(have to say, I wouldn't be buying anything from anyone with 85%, so I hope they move it for you...)

ninedragons Wed 17-Jun-09 10:29:58

PMSL at the guy who said he didn't have to sign anything when his "missing" item was delivered. That must have been a real d'oh! moment for him.

carrielou2007 Wed 17-Jun-09 10:31:11

Items have to be posted within 7 days of receving cleared payment. The amount of time that it actually takes to reach is what can not be guaranteed (unless using a guaranteed delivery time service).

I am not able to post items on a mon or tue as the surgery I work in is in the middle of nowhere and I would not have time to drive to another town at lunchtime. I make sure that my listings end on a tue. Then even if the buyer does not pay for a few days I can easily post, normally the next day.

Sadly ebay is not the happy place for a bargain it once was!!

FAQinglovely Wed 17-Jun-09 10:35:43

carrielou - can you please direct me to where on ebay it says postage must be within 7 days of payment?

As I all I can see is advice that you post as quickly as you can.

And when you set up the listing an option to put a dispatch time of up to 20 business days

PortAndLemon Wed 17-Jun-09 10:36:26

Could you time your auctions to finish on (say) Tuesday? Then you'll be able to post on Friday and still keep them (relatively) happy.

carrielou2007 Wed 17-Jun-09 10:48:36

FAQ look under seller protection where it states a seller has 7 days to post item after receiving payment (or the help or community topics). A dispute can be opened for item not recieved after waiting for 10 days to allow time for transit. Obs some items do take longer to arrive, depending on where you have bought from but 7 days is what should be adhered to.

FAQinglovely Wed 17-Jun-09 10:54:36

yes but the first step it says on the buyer protection is to review the sellers terms/listing - so if I reviewed a listing that I'd bought something and it says 10 business day dispatch - then surely it's common sense to then wait until those days are up.

I know some on the community pages - which is people like me and you posting, it's recommended that you post within 7 days, but I still can't find a page on ebay that states it must be sent within 7 days after receiving payment hmm

FAQinglovely Wed 17-Jun-09 10:58:57

actually i've found a page where it advises sending within 7 business days (read the buyer protection bit above it on the same page where it specifies 7 business days). But it's not a "rule" as such, just good practice. As the buyer protection bit also states that if you haven't received your item or heard from the seller.

carrielou2007 Wed 17-Jun-09 11:01:16

Ok I can't do links...

Go into site map, go into seller protection, go to seller protection on ebay, the list of key rules for seller protection on ebay STATES post item withing 7 days of receiving payment. It's not my rules, but they are the rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now