Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

do I let her return this item?

(21 Posts)
raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Tue 09-Jun-09 20:37:12

I sold an item on ebay. I listed the size and the measurements, and posted it abroad.
the buyer is now saying that is too big, and can she return it?
It is really annoying, as I am sure of the size (I put it as 8-10, she reckons it is 10-12, but I disagree as it fit me and I am most definitely 8 -10), and I DID give the measurements of the item on my listing?
what would you do?

petitmaman Tue 09-Jun-09 20:40:19

depends. if you have a 100% posiive feed back i would prob let her return it for ease. however you are totally within your rights not to let her( i think) . but be braced for neg feedback (fair or not)

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Tue 09-Jun-09 21:12:18

yeah, the negative feedback worries me, as I am 100% so far....
but, it really isnt my fault. all the measurements are there, and it most certainly is NOT a 10-12!

ilove Tue 09-Jun-09 21:17:27

No I wouldn't

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 21:18:22

I wouldn't either. It may be size 10-12 in her country but explain that it is a UK 8-10.

forkhandles Tue 09-Jun-09 21:20:25

do you state in your listings if you accept returns? If you don't accept them and she's just decided it's too big then I wouldn't take it back. As long as you haven't made a mistake with the size, then that's the chance you take as a buyer. It's not blinking next directory is it with free returns! Can you ask her exactly what the matter is and then explain nicely that you don't accept returns unless there is a fault etc. I wonder is the 100% positive feedback is becoming so important now it's easier to neg sellers. I don't know but suspect not?

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Tue 09-Jun-09 21:22:10

yes, that is probably it. A EU 8 is a uk 6 isn't it? that's HER fault then.
I say in my returns policy - items returned ONLY if grossly misrepresented. (dont ask me where I got that from, god knows!)

forkhandles Tue 09-Jun-09 21:22:17

If she's disputing the size on the label, get her to send you a photo of it!

forkhandles Tue 09-Jun-09 21:23:21

sorry X post.

Absolutely her fault, buying from UK site then bound to be UK sizes.

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Tue 09-Jun-09 21:24:19

There is no size on the label, which is why I gave measurements....

forkhandles Tue 09-Jun-09 21:28:15

Oh OK, still doesn't mean she's right though! I agree about explaining it's a UK8-10, and remind her you gave the measurements too.

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 21:53:24

Yeah what forkhandles said.

cuppachar Tue 09-Jun-09 21:59:59

If she does give you negative feedback, just add your own comment beneath it, very very politely and clearly. I think then people don't get such a bad impression of you, and will probably disregard it if it's your only neg.

Pingpong Tue 09-Jun-09 22:28:42

I think if you buy an item of clothing on ebay then you run the risk of it not fitting. I don't think you should accept a return. If it doesn't fit her she can sell it on. That is what I am doing with my latest purchase! I emailed the seller saying the item is great, I love it, sadly it doesn't fit so you may see it relisted. I left positive feedback.

Even if the seller does neg you, you can ask for it to be lifted if it is unreasonable.

aristocat Tue 09-Jun-09 23:00:07

totally agree with smac
its going to be hard to keep 100% f/b anyway so dont let this put you off refusing a return
tell her to sell it on - she might even sell it for more than she paid !!!

good luck smile

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 23:20:40

Exactly. I have bought six dresses on Ebay this week, not a single one of them fit, but I haven't emailed the sellers to complain!!!

Most are size 14s. One of them is even identical to an Oasis dress I own, only in a different colour, I bought this one in a 16 and it's smaller than the size 14!!!

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Wed 10-Jun-09 19:50:30

thanks everyone for that. I did feel she was being cheeky.
I have messaged her and said I only accept returns if they are misrepresented in the listing, as as I gave measurements clearly on the listing I don't feel this is the case. I suggested EU and UK sizes are different, pointed out how much she would have spent in postage returning it, and suggested she relisted it on ebay herself.
Now I wait and see what she comes back with...

Pingpong Wed 10-Jun-09 19:57:21

well done !

MumHadEnough Wed 10-Jun-09 22:07:08

Yeah good for you!

shhhh Thu 11-Jun-09 12:34:56

I wouldn't accept a return.
I have bought the odd new item off ebay and no way would I return if the size was wrong...imo that the downside of ebay YET upside is you can get good deals!

Bucharest Thu 11-Jun-09 12:38:29

EU stuff tends to be in the 40s measurement wise, 38/40/42 etc. Anyway, if you put the measurements, surely she could see?

I had a fight with a woman in Sardinia over some shoes, for the same reason, she left me neg f/b in the end and stroppy comments saying what a blackguard I was hmm but ebay removed them when I contacted them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now