Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Strange Bulgarian bidder with no feedback

(9 Posts)
cuppachar Tue 09-Jun-09 19:06:49

I've listed a travel system on ebay, 99p starting price, no reserve.

There are still 5 days to go until the end of the auction and up until this morning I'd only had 4 bids. However a new bidder has put in 6 bids today. He has no feedback score and only registered on ebay 2 days ago. He's also based in Bulgaria, despite the fact that the listing says UK only.

I've clicked on his bid history and he seems to have bid on 9 different prams / car seats in the last 2 days, all on German or French ebay, winning 4 of them.

Clearly this is a dodgy bidder who I would not want to win the auction. But should I cancel his bids and block him now or should I wait until nearer the end of the auction - after all he is driving up the price which is good - or are there risks I haven't thought of in doing this?

Would love some advice please! thanks in advance...

aristocat Tue 09-Jun-09 23:07:40

perhaps cancel him now to ensure he doesnt win the auction
recently i had a buyer from Romania win a listing even though it clearly stated uk only- his bids were removed as he hadnt adhered to eBay policy,then i had to relist the item and sell at a lower price than he would have paid
if youve put uk only then i think its cheeky for them to bid on it anyway !!!

good luck

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 09-Jun-09 23:21:01

No, cancel his bids now so that others aren't put off from bidding.
I did this once when I sold the baby set from our tripp trapp chairs. I stated UK only and someone in Germany bid then emailed later on to ask how much for postage to Germany. I cancelled her bid - it must be easy to do if I did it but I can't remember how.

sixlostmonkeys Wed 10-Jun-09 09:09:17

not sure why it's clear this is a dodgy bidder but...
If you don't want bids from outside the UK you need to put this in your preferences to prevent it not just saying so in the listing.

cuppachar Wed 10-Jun-09 13:22:05

Honestly if you could see his bids and profile you would agree he's dodgy (this is not just a prejudice because he's foreign!).
Also he put in 4 consecutive bids on my item despite being the highest bidder already, and his bidding on the other items is similarly weird. And why would anyone want 2 prams and 2 car seats, from 2 different countries and then continue bidding on several others from yet another country?! OK there might be valid reasons but I don't believe that's the case.

In the P&P section of my listing it already says "Dispatches to: United Kingdom" - is there any way I can stop overseas bidders other than doing this?

cuppachar Wed 10-Jun-09 13:24:15

Sorry, meant to add: I've decided to cancel his bids as I think Flibbertyjibbert's right that they might put other people off. So it's back down to £22 again - oh well....!

Bulgaria is known among hardened ebayers on the help forums on ebay itself as being awash with problem buyers/scammers/shite postal service and problems even when a genuine buyer

aristocat Wed 10-Jun-09 13:34:22

yes, like lostmonkeys said, go into my eBay then account then preferences and edit so only buyers from where you want to can bid

smile

cuppachar Wed 10-Jun-09 19:18:25

Thanks 6LM / aristocrat - I didn't know you could do that but have edited my preferences now.

Still only on £22 with 4 days to go sad but have 27 watchers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now