Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyers - how long would you wait for an item before chasing it with the seller?

(15 Posts)
LittleRedCourgette Sun 07-Jun-09 20:59:18

The reason I ask is because I sold an item last Tuesday, buyer paid straight away. With one thing or another I didn't get round to posting it until Friday.

I got a quite arsey message from the buyer on Saturday asking 'why haven't I received this item yet - you said 1st class post'.

Sent a nice message back telling him I'd posted it and he'd probably get it Monday (refraining from telling him to keep his bleeding hair on)

I think within a week of paying is reasonable.. Am I right, or am I a bad seller?

Pingpong Sun 07-Jun-09 21:40:40

As a seller you are supposed to state when you will dispatch. I always say it will be 1-2 working days.
As a buyer if I've paid for first class postage I would have expected to get it quicker than the following Monday TBH

LittleRedCourgette Sun 07-Jun-09 21:58:32

thanks for your response Smac. Was just a bit taken aback with it really. I've sold quite a bit and never been chased so quickly before. Always had very good feedback.

I wasn't aware I was supposed to state when I will dispatch. I think I'll add something to my descriptions from now on.

It was free P&P btw - can I ask - would you still expect it so quickly if you hadn't paid the postage yourself?

warthog Sun 07-Jun-09 22:00:07

i wouldn't be impressed. i'd prefer to pay p&p and get it in good time.

SparklyGothKat Sun 07-Jun-09 22:02:44

you have a week to post an item, I don't always get to the post office the same day as an item sells, can be a few days if I am busy.

snice Sun 07-Jun-09 22:04:55

I'd be a bit fed up to have to wait that long to be honest

Pingpong Sun 07-Jun-09 22:24:58

oh I do everything on turbo lister now but I'm sure there is a box for you to state dispatch time when setting up a new listing.
I do think there is a difference if it's free P&P but you didn't say that in OP.
Also there are a lot of paranoid people out there that are 'convinced' that they are going to get scammed in some way on ebay.
Also some people want an item to go on holiday with, to wear for a night out or some specific reason. If they pay immediately and you said it was first class then they probably assumed they would get it quickly.
I have seem some listings where the sellers states they only post once a week or that they post Mon, Wed, Fri - at least that gives buyers a clear timescale.

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:48:03

i normally give a week after payments cleared before sending polite email to ask if items been posted.

Tortoise Sun 07-Jun-09 22:52:58

I give a week before contacting. Then i would politely ask if the item had been sent.
I wouldn't expect free postage to be any different to normal postage delivery time.

cuppachar Mon 08-Jun-09 07:14:16

If I scroll down one of my listings to where it shows Post & Packing details, a bit lower down it says "Domestic despatch time: Will usually dispatch within 4 working days of receiving cleared payment."

Check what your is set as, and either apologise to the buyer or draw their attention to it, depending on the answer! HTH

LittleRedCourgette Mon 08-Jun-09 08:09:52

Thanks so much everyone. I need to review my selling processes I think! Cheers for the responses.

maxybrown Mon 08-Jun-09 08:15:07

I don't think it's that bad! I have never chased a seller before a week after I've paid.

Also when you list there is a drop down box that says dispatch time. I always put within5 working days. People prob don't notice, but at least it can be pointed out if they asked. That gives me time then to get sorted....oh just saw someone has added this already! But you can change it to what you want.

Bucharest Mon 08-Jun-09 08:18:00

I don't think that's bad at all tbh...

I agree to put a dispatch time that is quite generous for you as a seller, then if something crops up and you don't get chance to get to the PO you are covered.

sixlostmonkeys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:23:46

ebay will soon be making it so that all sellers state their dispatch time and so that the buyer gets a date when the item can be expected (dispatch time plus postage time) - best to get into the habit of it now

Pingpong Mon 08-Jun-09 13:36:02

I think it depends what the item is and if there are lots for sale. Eg if it's used baby clothes and there is just one listing like it then waiting a week shouldn't really be a problem. However if it was a DVD and there were 10 similar items then I would take cost of postage into account when choosing who I was buying from. I'd be annoyed if I waited a week to get the item if I'd paid first class when another seller sending second class would have charged me less and (maybe?) got it to me quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now