Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

watch count

(5 Posts)
Pingpong Sun 31-May-09 22:27:47

Does anyone know what the 'watch count' means? It's appeared in my sold items box in the last couple of weeks and I'm puzzled by it.
It's under the buyers user ID and I've got anything from Watch count 0 to watch count 6

JustFiveMoreMinutes Mon 01-Jun-09 12:58:46

Hi Smac,

It's counting how many people are just watching your item.

As a buyer, if you find something on ebay, but do not want to put a bid in just yet you can add the item to your watch list. Then it appears in My Ebay so you can keep track of it, and you may get an e-mail reminder when it's nearing the end of the auction.

So as a seller the watch count allows you to see how many people are watching your item as described above. Some or all of them may turn into bids as the end time nears. Or rarely none - sometimes I watch things that I own just to see what it sells for out of curiosity!

Hope that helps!

Pingpong Mon 01-Jun-09 13:49:19

thanks Just5 for your reply.
I do know about watching an item, I do it frequently myself and I can see from my selling list that there are currently 9 people watching an item that ends tonight however it was only recently that I noticed that there is a watch count when an item has sold and as the value beside the watch count is between 0 and 6 (on my selling page) I don't think it can correlate to the number of watchers as I've had more than 6 watchers IYKWIM. I'm probably not making myself very clear.
And once you have sold the item is knowing how many people were watching considered to be useful information ?
Sorry I'm just a bit confused.

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 13:50:31

Oh - sorry! I think I know what you mean, though. I've always assumed it was just watchers who hadn't bothered to remove the item from their watch list even though the auction ended. If that's the case, I agree it's confusing - it's not really useful information so why bother?

Apologies for not really clarifying anything there! blush

Pingpong Tue 02-Jun-09 14:42:42

Maybe it is just how many people were watching when the item sold. I meant to be by the computer last night when my item ended but got distracted but last nights sale is showing Questions: 1 Watch count: 6 but there were 8 watchers 15 minutes before it ended.
Don't worry I'm not losing any sleep over it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now