Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Please could someone give me an idiot's guide to selling? I've bought plenty of times but never sold anything

(5 Posts)
NotActuallyAMum Thu 05-Mar-09 16:10:11

How much does it cost? Is it a percentage of the price it sells for?

Is there a set cost if something doesn't sell?

Will it cost me if I receive payment via Paypal?

I believe I can't put a reserve price on anything under £50? So if I want, say, £20 for something is there any rule against putting a start price of £20?

Can I state UK buyers only?

Anything else I should know?

Would really appreciate any guidance smile

Galava Thu 05-Mar-09 16:15:57

there is a listing fee which varies depending on how much you set the price at (minimum is 10p atm). There is also a final value fee of around 8%.

if it doesnt sell you have an option to relist for free.

Yes, PP deduct a % too.

You can make your start price whatever you want.

UK only bidders is fine,

Its addictive grin

I dont make much money from it at all, I just consider it recycling. I just wish the stuff I have bought in the past was as good as the stuff I sell. Hey ho !

Oh, adding that youu are a pet and smoke free home (if you are) is a big plus imo.

Good luck

NotActuallyAMum Thu 05-Mar-09 16:32:27

Thank you Galava smile

It's not cheap then isn't it? Sounds like with the listing fee, final value fee and Paypay it's just over 10% or thereabouts?? Blimey!

I wouldn't have even thought of putting smoke and pet free (we are), thanks for that

NotActuallyAMum Thu 05-Mar-09 16:33:08

Paypal blush

PurpleFrog Fri 06-Mar-09 17:08:07

Do plenty of research on eBay before listing. Have a look at completed auctions and see how much similar items have gone for in order to set realistic starting prices. Look at listings and see how other people have described your items - pinch any good ideas! (But don't lift it word-for-word.) Make sure you list in the best category for your item - it can sometimes be worth including it in 2 categories. Take a good photo (or two) with a non-cluttered background.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now