Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can I legally sell something that I haven't yet fully paid for?

(10 Posts)
Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:23:47

Am a bit worried about this, as I have just sold something which I bought on an installment plan.

I've obviously got a direct debit in place and the first payment has gone through - but I'm a bit worired as the person has asked me for a warranty, as in did it come with one, and I've told them it didn't, which is true - but what if they want the receipt? It shows that it hasn't been fully paid for.

Obviously it isn't a didgy deal from my point of view at all, as I fully intend to complete the payments (it's a 6 month thing) but is it legally Ok? And how can I avoid showing them the receipt if they want it?

Can I be honest and tell them I need to keep the paperwork as I haven't paid for it yet?

Also they have paid me more than I am paying, as I got a very good deal - so I don't want them to know this.

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:24:17

dodgy, not didgy!! smile

swampster Mon 02-Mar-09 19:30:16

If they didn't ask for a receipt or warranty before bidding and you didn't offer one I don't see why they should expect one once bidding is closed.

<<Waits for someone with real knowledge on the subject to turn up>>

What was it? [nosey]

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:30:25

Although I guess if all the paperwork is in my name, and for any reason I didn't complete the payments, it would be me who got into trouble as they couldn't repossess the sofa. Right?

So the buyer has no reason to be concerned, do they?

<bad at things like this>

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:30:48

Hi Swampy it was a sofa! smile

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:32:21

I mean, it isn't like they are doing anything wrong by buying something that's technically the property of the credit company, is it?

Or am I doing something wrong by selling it?

RubyRioja Mon 02-Mar-09 19:36:41

I think the sofa is yours. You just owe on an unsecured loan. I think it was the old Hire Purchase where the seller owned it until the final payment.

Of course the debt remains and could be pursued with baillifs etc.

I think

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 19:38:06

Thanks RR. Hope so too! I've been looking for the receipt/paperwork and can't find it anywhere, typically - but have emailed the buyer to let them know I don't have it, and said that if they don't wish to proceed I'm happy to relist it and fully understand.

swampster Mon 02-Mar-09 20:03:17

That sounds more than fair. I'd be tempted to tell them there was no receipt because I nicked it and if they want a receipt to go to a shop!

Lucky you've got RR, someone with a bit more sense on this thread than me though.

Flightattendant27 Mon 02-Mar-09 20:11:35

Lol grin

I'm so anxious at selling. I never believe it if I make a profit and often end up sabotaging it somehow out of guilt.

This probably means I will spill something on the sofa before they collect it, or tell them I got it for less and let them have it for what I paid, or something like that.

no idea why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now