Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Just accepted good offer on item - is this wrong?

(11 Posts)
Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:32:09

I had several bids, all from two different bidders, on an item I've been selling.

It had got quite high but not met reserve. It was meant to finish in 2 and a half days.

Last night I had an offer only a little short of the buy it now - it's a private offer and the person sounds genuine, has good feedback etc.
I accepted as it means I have a good price, they'll pay cash on collection, and also I don't have to pay the FVF with ebay (which would have been about £35+)

However I feel bad for the others who were bidding.
I've contacted them to apologise and explain but am a bit worried I did the wrong thing.

It was on about £500 and reserve was 700, I've been offered 850.

WWYD?

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 25-Feb-09 07:39:20

I thought the BIN disappeared when you started getting bids, or do you mean you accepted an offer outside eBay? Of course as long as you got a price you were happy with that's fine, but you have no recourse through eBay if they get all stroppy and want to return it.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:42:21

Thanks Pfft - it only disappears when the reserve is reached iyswim, so it was still there.

I was afraid nobody would bid as high as the reserve so jumped at the offer.

Tbh there's no recourse through ebay anyway if someone changes their mind - all you can do is report them as a non payer and that only affects those who regularly take the piss.

I suppose I can relist it anyway if they change their minds.

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:52:04

I think the rules are pretty clear that you shouldn't do this. This is from the ebay website:

"Ending a listing early for the following reasons is prohibited as it is considered fee avoidance:

Cancelling bids and ending a listing early in order to sell the item off-eBay. You should be aware that as well as avoiding fees, you risk fraud by selling items off the eBay website. If a member writes to you to ask you to sell away from the eBay website, please report them to us."

You can read the original document here

I'm not the ebay police though! I'm sure people do a lot worse - just thought you might want to know the proper rules.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:56:15

Thankyou for that, yes I thought they'd probably disapprove - I'm more worried about the moral aspect iyswim though!

Ebay have had enough of my money over the years - I rarely use it nowadays, and if they did pull me up on it I wouldn't mind.

I'll just have to see whether the buyer comes through. And whether I start getting hate mail from the bidders! smile

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Wed 25-Feb-09 08:07:05

If I were you, I'd go for it. If I was a buyer, I'd probably be a bit annoyed, but not that annoyed.

If you're feeling worried, you could always let the bidders know that there is a reserve and that they haven't met it yet. Then let the auction finish and see if anyone matches the private offer.

Honestly, don't worry too much though.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 09:46:48

Thanks...I've had a reply from one of them saying thanks for letting him know, and that it's not a problem.

<phew>

2pt4kids Wed 25-Feb-09 10:03:01

Only problem is if you've emailed the other bidders to explain and they get cross, they could report you to ebay for breaking the rules! As they have confirmation in writing from you admitting that you have done it then ebay will be able to ban you if they like.
I'd have accepted the offer but not admitted it!

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 11:19:25

Yes I see what you mean! Well I already tried to leave once and got sucked back in so it might be the kick I need wink

choccyp1g Wed 25-Feb-09 11:23:15

WHy couldn't the buyer have just out in a bid for £850 if that's what they were prepared to pay. I'd be suspicious of them. If they turn up with only £750 cash, you'll be very tempted to accept.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 11:45:48

I think they were worried about being outbid and were very keen on the item. I've done it before - asked for a buy it now when I really wanted something.

It had 44 watchers and is a current item in the shop so quite in demand iyswim.

I'll bear it in mind though and be prepared to stand firm!! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now